ad: Morse-1

Who remembers Swan

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my USAF barracks. I paid $425 at Harrisons in NYC. You can't make it out in the picture but there is on item I still have and used yesterday.
    usafbfotis001.jpg

KA4DPO and N5DMC like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember when he came out with the Atlas, they were also cool. Mr. Johnson was very creative guy.

3. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

A Swan MKII amp was part of one of my most "interesting" ham memories.
    I worked with a ham who had a MKII amp and we awere having dinner at my place, hooked the amp up while the wives were off shopping, and having a great time trying to keep the power output legal as they would run 2KW without breaking a sweat, until his DID break a sweat and the main power transformer decided to release the magic smoke in the most epic manner possible. I looked over at the PS sitting on the kitchen counter and there was a "wall" of smoke coming out of it, the fan was blowing it into a lovely solid pattern, byt the time we pulled the plug the smoke detectors were going off and the kitchen was a haze and right about then the wives came back into the house....he never did get the Swan back on the air.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. K3RU

K3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a new Swan 350C in 1969. Worked 20m SSB exclusively. Loved that radio until I noticed backwards tuning carriers up and down the band.

These spurious signals turned out to be images from Short Wave Broadcasters, and at times were quite strong, S9+++. Eventually these spurious signals irritated me to the point that I grew to hate that radio. Had the spurious signals not tuned backwards, they would not have been so obvious, and I probably would have never noticed them. I discussed this image response problem with the Swan factory and they sent me ONE little series tuned trap to install at the receiver RF Amp input. The improvement was minimal. The more expensive Swan 500C didn't suffer from these spurious signals as the 500C had I believe 9 traps at various places in the receiver.

Fast forward several years and the Swan 350C got used very little. I had by then acquired a Drake R4A, and a SB301 and SB401. Might have also had my Yaesu FRDX400 and FLDX400 pair at that time. What I did to that Swan 350c surprises me when I think about it today.

I RIPPED THE RECEIVER CIRCUITS COMPLETELY OUT OF THAT RADIO !!! I turned a transceiver into a transmitter. I added a variable-level spotting circuit to the transmitter. Now I liked that radio again and used it as a 400watt transmitter, paired with the SB301 receiver. Eventually I just gave the 350C "TRANSMITTER" away to a gentlemen who took a truck load of COLLINS 32V this and that, KWS1, and a KWM1 off my hands.

I wasn't shy about ripping and tearing into my radios. I drilled holes for new controls without hesitation. I junked several now fairly valuable radios just to get their parts. Thinking back to those "violent" days I have to ask "WHAT WAS I THINKING ??"

5. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a teenager, I used to belong to the Elizabeth, N.J. Civil Defense. The director conducted code and theory classes every Thursday evening at 6:30 before the Union County CD nets began. It was my job to turn on the Swan 350 at 6:30 PM so that the VFO would be stable by the time the 75 meter net started at 8PM, an hour and a half later.
    Tom WA4ILH

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in Springfield, NJ CD-RACES in the 60s, maybe we crossed paths. Elizabeth was County Seat so net control for the County nets. I was a "20 Victor" station, the prefix assigned to Springfield and the trustee for all of that was John, W2IIN who ran County.

Small world.:p

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

In the early 1970’s, the NCS for the 6 meter AM RACES for Essex County was in Livingston, in one of the county Public Works garages (right around the corner from my great-uncle’s hardware store, as it was). As memory serves, there were four Gonset rigs available, each had a crystal for a different primary frequency. Depending on which rig or frequency was in use, the tactical call was EC1 through EC4, all under the watchful eye of K2DOH (when he wasn’t sitting in the other room shooting the breeze with the other adults, letting the teenagers actually run the net)

I still remember the preamble to open the net, and may have a written copy of it around somewhere. Comes in handy when I need to come up with a paragraph of text for testing purposes.

Small world indeed.

8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I operated the 10 meter Gonset G28 in an actual emergency during the big east coast blackout. Net control was Stevens Institute. A message was sent to me requesting Elizabeth fire trucks to deploy to NYC which I passed to the fire guy across the room. A few minutes later, I passed the message that the requested fire trucks were on the way.
    Tom WA4ILH
    ex WB2NPO

9. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember that Swan/Siltronix went to the "Dark Side" (like Hygain), and wrote them off as traitors to ham radio. This is spite of having a Swam name tag as an equipment salesman for a midwestern independent ham radio shop.

N2EY likes this.
  10. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think Swan gear is cool.
    I still have a few pieces of Swan gear, including 2 Swan 240`s.
    Check out my qrz page in the call sign look up.