ad: chuckmartin

Who makes a modern HF transceiver with TS-830S receive audio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the early 1990's, SGC used to sell an audio DSP board with a 5 watt audio amplifier. I built one of those into an old SP-600 speaker, I also added a power supply and a relay so I could switch between DSP and speaker only. It works really good on my old non-DSP radios, especially on CW. The only drawback is that it kills the audio fidelity of the radio, but that's OK, I can pull out weak signals on CW almost as well as my new radios when I flip on the DSP and narrow the bandwidth to 125 HZ.:)

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My AD COM DNR speaker lowers the high frequency ever so slightly, but the fidelity is about the same.

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run a Ten Tec Orion II on the desk alongside a TS-830s and can A/B switch between them with an audio/keying/antenna switching box I use for multiple rigs that lets me hear different rigs using the same antenna and speaker or headphones with the turn of a switch. The Orion II is the first modern rig I've had on the bench that sounds as nice as my TS-830s. With a wide roofing filter selected and the Orion's DSP filters set to 2800Hz or 3000 Hz and a few dB of bass boost on the audio the rigs sound nearly identical when tuned to the same strong SSB station. For weak station SSB or CW work the Orion has a definite edge with its: customizable AGC, DSP filtering adjustable down to 100Hz, SAF, awesome hardware noise blanker and DSP noise reduction features.

If you run the Orion II as Ten Tec and others suggest with audio gain up and controlling signal level via RF gain it's almost eerie with nearly no band noise with noise reduction enabled and very low band noise without it. Sure I've ridden the RF gain on rigs since I became a ham so that idea isn't new but it's a whole different experience in the Orion which I suspect has a lot to do with their implementation of AGC and noise reduction. I've been told the TS-590SG is very similar in terms of low band noise and I've seriously considered picking one up especially as used prices drop but I really like a big rig with front panel controls and minimal menus. The Orion II fits that bill with controls for all major functions and easily accessible single layer menus for customizing the rig.

I've tried other fairly new rigs like a TS-480 and though it was a great rig and sounds pretty good it just didn't sound as nice to my ears as the TS-830s.

FWIW, I rotate various rigs onto and off of the operating desk but in the past decade the TS-830s is the one constant as I just love that rig. The Orion II is the first rig I've had in the rotation that allows me to actually pull out weak signals I can't reliably copy on the TS-830 and to my ears sounds just as good when set up for sound quality (e.g. relatively wide SSB filters and some bass boost). YMMV

NL7W likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

The Ad Com speakers are way better at cleaning up noisy audio than the SGC DSP2 filter. The SGC is more like the old Timewave brick wall audio filter, I have only two NR settings, 13 and 26 db. There are three bandwidths, 1.8 KHZ for SSB, and two CW widths, 500 and 100 HZ. The noise reduction can be switched on or off, and it also provides auto notch when it's on. The DSP that they used is pretty dated but still works extremely well on CW, not so much for phone.

I definitely agree with you about audio quality of the newer radios. My IC7600 is a great rig but the DSP will begin to annoy me after about 30 minutes on CW, and even on SSB it has an unpleasant artifact that can get tiring. It is the high frequency hiss that is ever present in the recovered audio after the DSP. The only thing I can do is use the passband control to attenuate the high side a little.

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My TS-930 was the best sounding solid-state radio I’ve ever used. The Japan Radio Co. (JRC) JST-245 was pretty damn close. Both were beautiful rigs to operate.

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

YMMV.
    I was an SGC dealer back then and when we got a DSP unit I *hated it* for voice. It just made the vocals sound like some weird bad cell phone sound effect.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

It's really hard to beat that "Kenwood transmit and receive audio" many of us have discovered over the years.

Yaesu and Icom rigs haven't had it...

WW2PT and KA4DPO like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Cudos on the Orion II!
    Come to think of it, TenTec audio has always been good. :)

WW2PT likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

You are right. It sounded like a South American rain stick in the background on SSB. It really does work pretty well on CW though.

10. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood TS870 isn't too bad in that regard. I always get great reports on the transmitted audio. while on receive I never want to turn it off, it sounds that good. I like the ability of creating my own filter from 6 kHz down to couple hundred hertz.
    I do a lot of SWL with it and other day I was listening to Sudan Radio on 7205 like it was right next door. Never got tiring to hear at all and if I am on 40 meter roundtables with G0EVY and friends it's easy to sit there for a couple of hours and not miss a beat.
    The only rigs I have heard that sound better are the old Motorola R390 I had along with my old Drake R4A.
    The R390 had an awesome audio chain, could hear the weakest tropical band regional stations out in the South Pacific or South America or even Africa and the Drake wasn't too far behind in either signal capturing or audio quality.

NL7W and WW2PT like this.