Who makes a modern HF transceiver with TS-830S receive audio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can verify the TS870 receive as almost the best I have used.
    First place goes to Motorola R390.
    Third place Drake R4A

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought an Ten Tec Eagle, but still a little processed sounding on other hand best sounding newer digital radio I heard. Unfortunately had 1/2 power out, so returned it for refund. I just bought a mint Kenwood TS-950SD with all options. I think this analog transceiver will sound very good audio wise.

3. N8FVJ

Unfortantly the Eagle has only 50% power out, returned it for refund.

4. N8FVJ

Heard the Eagle, good audio but not as good as earlier analog radios.

5. N8FVJ

A follow up. Bought a National NCX-5 that was rebuilt and aligned. The audio is way superior to the TS-950SD, so I sold the Kenwood. After 15 minutes the NCX-5 has virtually no drift for hours on same frequency. The NCX-5 also has a more quiet receiver section vs the TS-950SD and seems to hear everything the Kenwood hears. Guess you cannot beat tube audio.

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The old tube rigs all sound pretty good, there were a couple of exceptions, but most had much more pleasant recovered audio than todays DSP rigs. The TS-830S has a solid state receiver and audio amplifier, it was just very well designed and the radio had beautiful recovered audio. Kudos on the NCX-5, go easy on the sweep tubes and it will last you a long time. You do realize it is not a contest radio, the selectivity and noise reduction on modern radios is way better. But, the NCX-5 was a really sweet radio in it's day, and expensive rig with a huge tube compliment, great to have on a cold winter day.:)

7. N8FVJ

DSP speaker brings the rig closer to a modern radio. Not a contest rig in the least though. I put a bid on a working TS-830S.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe get a time machine and you all you guys can jump in to experience your glory days:rolleyes:

I owned most of those OLD radios mentioned and wouldn’t own them again.

9. N8FVJ

Glad your ears like the lousy colored and narrow SSB audio.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget that the L/C circuits in the Collins PTO's were sealed and insulated from the heat, and they did drift, although not much. I checked my TR4CW on an HP spectrum analyzer over about 5 hours, and after a ten minute warm up I did not see more than 30 HZ, plus or minus, of drift. Drake did an outstanding job of stabilization. AFWIW, solid state VFO's do drift if they are not properly designed. The use of high Q N-750 and NPO capacitors is imperative, along with highly stable bias.

N4FZ likes this.