Who makes a modern HF transceiver with TS-830S receive audio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I as well feel your pain. My daily driver is a TS-830S. I have various other synthesized radios that are all but a shack in the box but ,
    they just plain wear me out to listen to. All my 830 needed to go into operation was a manual filter sweep to establish center (yup, connect the dots!) and place the carrier oscillators accordingly. I tried this with the FT-857D menu and although it was an improvement I can not state that it was an unqualified success.
    I also have a Tempo (Uniden) 2020 that is the easiest to listen to receiver I own (short of the 390 or SX-42) but is crippled in other ways.

I'm going to copy the mail here for a bit and see what comes in as eventually I'll be thinking along the same lines.

2. W5IEI

W5IEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My TS-890S with the RX EQ can be made to sound as good as anything I own.
    I have TS-830,TS 520,FT-101E, FTDX 3000 Icom 7300,(2) Icom 751A,FT-1000 Field ETC.

Mike

3. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I think my 890 is equally as good as the 930 I had for over 25 years. Both on RX and on TX reports too. But everyone's ears are different. You need to get down to a store and listen for yourself.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Icon, Yaesu and Kenwood. Take yer pick.

I have significant hearing loss and wear hearing aids. They all sound about the same to me.
    John

KM4FVI likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a fone guy partly because of bad hearing but last night I tuned into one of the local 'nets' on 40m on my fancy IC-7410 to listen to the scuttlebutt about the storm. I could only copy about 50% of what was being said and that took effort. An older rig would have done much better!
    Its not really the bandwidth as much as it is that awful digital audio.

K3XR, W4IOA and AC8UN like this.
  6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read the Ten Tec Jupiter and Eagle audio is on par with the Kenwood TS-830S audio. I get one of these Ten Tec radios.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They're good rigs, but 100% DSP and all signal processing internally is digital. Try one out first to see what you think.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...speaking of storms,... do ya have everything tied-down Bill ?

9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it has passed us now. It has been a non-event at this location.

W5BIB likes this.
  10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a late model Ten Tec Eagle today. If not good, I'll sell it.