ad: UR5CDX-1

Who is the Real Devil? Noise or the Operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HF/VHF Noise can be managed and eliminated/reduced if you take the time to locate it. I have had several cases of power line noise. All of them have been resolved by working with the utility (using their report process) and following up with the Tech. I have had a problem with one solar system (the DIY Type), and the noise has been eliminated. There are multiple professionally installed solar systems in my area, and I have had ZERO RF problems with them.

Operators of Grow Lights can be a pain in the butt, and usually they get a letter explaining their problems are just beginning if they don't install some filtering or replace the non-compliant ballast(s).

You located the noise but you can't get someone to answer the door??? The County tax assessor will provide the property owner's name, and the Internet will provide his/her mailing address (for a Fee). The ARRL can help guide you when it comes to written communication with a property owner.

Most consumer products that will impact your station receiver are in YOUR house. Ferrite Beads/Toroids are your friends ;)

If you operate HF, you will need a mobile/portable receiver and a Loop Antenna to locate noise sources. Sharpen your FOX Hunting skills!!!

If you have a Noise problem, lift your butt out of your chair and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

KA0USE, K6EFA, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but only to an extent...

Cue the OTH Radar... ;)

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  3. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a plan. . . except if you live in the Big City, where there are so many noise sources that you cannot possibly find and remedy them all. And. . . what about those neighbors who refuse to cooperate? We have lots of those, too.

Sometimes you just got to deal with it.

W4EAE, K0UO and WD5GWY like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great, but not all utilities/neighbors are responsive, and there is no active enforcement mechanism to compel them to act on their responsibility to fix interference.

I have worked with three different utilities in recent memory on power line RFI. One was quickly responsive. One was completely unresponsive, and didn't even have the people/gear to investigate. The third was initially unresponsive, but finally became responsive after something like eighteen months of round-and-round.

If you have a responsive utility, that's awesome. Be appreciative. Not all of them are, and there are many who couldn't care less about RFI, FCC, etc.

You are quite correct about using RFI to sharpen signal location skills, though. It's definitely a skill worth having, and when you do have a responsive utility or neighbor, it helps expedite the process when you can take them straight to the offending pole or device.

WQ4G and K0UO like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Both
    I av operated from all over the world and but now my nearest neighbor id 2 miles away. So most of my RFI is from my own consumer devices which I battle weekly/ as you pointed out needs to be done To maintain the integrity of any good station.
    Nowadays HVAC units air conditioners/ washing machines/wallwarts/ smart meters, everything has controllers and devices that emit RFI from a lotta cheap Chinese parts. Even if it sort of hide the manufacturer still receive crap which they can't control from their suppliers.
    It's the crazy new normal

Try running mobile are going somewhere in your RV the RFI noise is everywhere.
    It's a constant battle and probably hurts Discourages New people when get into radio.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm"

N3AWS, WQ4G and PU2OZT like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry/ Yes a lot of typos above .... .. HI
    I had a phone call and did not review it in the 30 min window.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That reminded me of buying my most recent washing machine... the day they brought it by, the first thing I did was to wrap a few turns of the cord on a #31 bead...

As with most "smart" devices today, it has just become habit for me to assume a device is going to be an RFI problem, and preemptively sever its "antennas" whether it ever actually creates RFI or not. :eek:

Life is short... beads are cheap. ;)

KN6SD and K0UO like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And the sky is blue, the grass is green but if it's still green don't smoke it.

9. KN6SD

No worries, I never make typos :)

K0UO likes this.
  10. KN6SD

when it comes to AC/DC noise sources, I have had better luck with Mix-75 beads/doughnuts...

K0UO likes this.