ad: w5yi

Who is building quality radios?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6DKT, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF6DKT

KF6DKT Ham Member QRZ Page

VE4KV makes an excellent point that I had not considered, particularly in these difficult economic times. Thank you!

2. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the Elecraft K3 does not have a traditional analog meter. It's digital.

3. VE3PTC

VE3PTC Ham Member QRZ Page

re.

hi james. you are very correct, about the s-meter!!
    if it floats your boat, then thats all that counts.
    73 de bob. ve3ptc

4. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

K3ROJ - not a fair comparison. When the majority of an SDR rig's functions are in software - using words like 'components', 'craftsmanship', 'reliable assembly' don't apply the same way. It's an apples and pears kind of thing. Not quite oranges. That's why us 'young radicals' are occasionally sneered at (read: misunderstood) by some of the ol school hams. We don't speak the same language, have the same assumed value structures or perspectives.

As a (marginalized) example - would you ask a vet to tune up your vehicle? Well, yes - maybe - if you're Amish. But if you drive a modern hybrid likely not. Then comparing a Tesla Roadster to a Morgan isn't fair either.

VE4KV - Good points and valid concerns. Thankfully there's an answer - Open Source. Yes, for the hardware too. Again, a different paradigm that doesn't always fit well with - let alone compare to - 'the way it's been done'.

5. VK1AA

VK1AA Guest

Hi Bob - not all Yugo's are made equal:

http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/

[Yes, I am associated with YU1LM]

6. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought here regarding the physical quality of the Elecraft rigs... I put mine together, and was pleasantly surprised to observe how well things fit together. The design and attention to detail of each component, whether it be the main RF board, sub boards, or even the side panels is top notch. The only complaint I have with the K3 are the plastic concentric knobs which have a tendency to crack if overtightened. Don't ask me how I know that. :D

7. N4WSH

N4WSH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a piece of artwork, but waaaaaay out of my price range.

8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oooh! that looks like a nice kit! Any reviews on it? Looks like it could be put together in a few nights.

9. WA3SSG

WA3SSG Ham Member QRZ Page

This looks like a great project!!

10. PA5MW

PA5MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten-Tec
    Elecraft

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.