Who is building quality radios?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6DKT, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8TBY

KC8TBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Who builds quality radios you ask...?

My mind says TEN TEC...
    but my wallet says Yaesu!
    Somehow, that says it all!!:eek:

2. KK4ASS

KK4ASS QRZ Member

This could easily turn into a ford chevy thread, but, IMHO it all depends how much money you want to spend. Got 3 grand or more? Lotsa options.

But if you only have around a grand to spend, the Kenwood TS-480HX is the best value out there with a receive and output level way above it's class.

3. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FLEX RADIO

I beleive Software Defined Radios will be the future of Amateur Radio. The FLEX Company in Texas is doing a great job manufacturing gear. Yes, it requires a somewhat fast computer, especially for the 5000A model but most hams nowadays have a computer for digital modes etc. My other gear such as Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood will probably be on E-Bay soon since the 5000A does everything I need for a complete radio station.

4. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten-Tec and Icom are where it's at!:cool:

5. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Omni II if you like the larger form-factor radio with a spectrum scope.
    K3 if you want similar performance in a more portable package.

Personally I went with the K3. I also like the fact that the Elecraft owners and engineers personally answer just about every question you send them. They are also very quick to respond to new firmware requests. I haven't heard the same things said about service for the other companies.

6. VE4KV

VE4KV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I guess it depends on if you are looking at short or long term. In other words which radio will be worth based on it's original purchase price in say 2 years from now. (or longer) In the past I've gone with quality top of the line bleeding edge stuff and been hit pretty hard with both long term support and resale value.

Cases in point 1. I have a very expensive AEA DSP2232 which was supposed to (being somewhat software defined) the upgradable be all end all of future tncs. Company bit the dust and no software support.

2.Bought a Drake UV3 triband uhf/vhf bleeding edge rig (new). Had good company support until they went under.

3. Bought a Kachina computer controlled hf radio. Very expensive high performance rig in it's day. The company packed in the amateur radio division resulting in no further repair or software support. All well built pieces of gear and all American.

If I had bought say Icom, atleast I would probably still beable to send the suff in for repair and thus people would not be afraid to buy it if I sold second hand.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. VE3PTC

VE3PTC Ham Member QRZ Page

re

hmm, both tentec and elecraft use only the best components etc etc. then why do they both insist, on fitting the most cheap, pathetic looking s-meter, amongst other things?? if i was paying $3-5k for this radio, i would expect great performance, but also a radio that looked the part too. its quite strange, how they both "cheaped " out on that item. maybe later on, you can "download" an upgraded s-meter ! lol.
    i dont deny these radio's work well, but come on, make them look the part too.
    or like in another post, do i assume you drive a yugo car too, to go with your k3/ tentec ?
    vy 73 de bob. ve3ptc/gm0ley

8. W1SMC

W1SMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I can't speak for the other Ten-Tec owners here. But I sit across from a very nice looking, fully functional, awesome Orion II.

Some may say it's cheap looking. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I could have bought an ICOM 7800. Instead I got the O2. Paid 6K less and I believe I got a better rig. Maybe not as pretty as the 7800 ...... but I'd put my O2 up against the 7800 any day of the week.

And I drive a Lincoln too. Looked at the Caddy's, Lexus, Acura, and Infinity too. I saved 10K and have a car that's just as fast, just as functional, has all the bells and whistles of those other models (and more by the way) ..... and she takes regular gas to boot.

I looked around and went American. Flex, K3, Ten-Tec ..... can't beat them.

9. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Define "quality" ????

Are you talking something on the order of tecno-gadgetry -- in this case just about any of the Japanese manufacturers do that.

Are you talking about quality of construction, like the iconic Collins S/Line? I can't remember the name, but there is a German-made transceiver that has innards that are the Rembrandts of the electronics art. As an electronic professional, I can appreciate what very few hams do -- which is looking under the hood.

Gary WA7KKP

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you thinking of the Hilberling PT-8000?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.