Who is building quality radios?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6DKT, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF6DKT

KF6DKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear on the forums about poor soldering, poor manuals, and poor reliability! Is there a company today that is building quality HF radios?

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Quality- High or Low? The word Quality is not definitive. (Picky Picky).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

TEN-TEC

Sure there is It's called TEN-TEC.

Made in USA by Americans!

4. AD5X

AD5X Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft - Also American.

Phil - AD5X

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten Tec, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, Elecraft, Hammarlund, ugh.... sorry

GoGQK

6. K6WAC

K6WAC Ham Member QRZ Page

the big two

The two top radios manufactured for ham use are the Ten-Tec Orion ll and the Elecraft K3. The performance of both of these radios are supperior to all others now in production. They both employ only the finest components and construction. Both radios can only be obtained through the manufactures. The receivers on both also of superior quality and are especially well suited for CW operation. Both range from 2000.00 to 5000.00 based on the options ordered. 73

7. KF6DKT

KF6DKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for your responses. Ten Tec looks like a HIGH quality radio. 73
    KF6DKT

8. N4WSH

N4WSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had Kenwoods and Icoms and finally settled in on Yaesu's with the exception of a Kenwood HT everything else in my shack and in my vehicles are Yaesu's. To each their own.

9. KG8LB

KG8LB Ham Member QRZ Page

"In the vernacular, quality can mean a high degree of excellence (“a quality product”), "

Literally , every Yaesu I have owned (5) needed to be serviced under warranty. The little Icom 706MKIIG I picked up at an estate sale for $150 seems to be working OK . Not really a great radio..but it works. I always loved my Drake R-8 and R-8A but sadly no more offereings from Drake. All the Ten-Tec gear I have owned performed quite well indeed. (Omni V, Centurion, Omni VI, Corsair II)
    Recently bought a high end JRC, the last of their SW receivers for the consumer market, an NRD-545. The receiver was pretty nice, had great ergonomics and very flexible filtering but was noisey. It also died under warranty, was "kind of " repaired but full function was not restored. JRC in Japan would not supply repair parts for support so the dealer bought the radio back. Of course ther was the matter of over $100 in shipping that was out the door.

Overall, Ten-Tec has a good record....Nothing wrong with Hammarlund either for that matter. Try to avoid those Eddystone thingies ;) They use wierd threads !

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tec quality is excellent, and their "factory service" is exemplary, should it ever be required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.