Who has made contact with Antarctica, what frequencies and time of year?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N4GKS, Mar 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA8OLN

WA8OLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked Antarctica on 160 many years ago. Have the card somewhere. Once in a life time thing.

2. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My contact this year was with KC4USV on 1/15, 20m ft8. About 7:30 cst.

3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

ClubLog says it was Spain.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha, that post was from 4 years ago! True, some of the Activity Week stations aren't real clear. I don't pay them much attention anymore.

WW2PT likes this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but no one answered your question. Just doing my part to help! ;)

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s not that hard to get Antarctica. As someone else said, southern winter can be a good time IF there is an active ham wintering over. I had a very nice phone conversation with a Russian ham at the Vostok station during their winter.

7. W7WLL

W7WLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found them mostly operating on the 20 M band and on all different frequencies. The previous posts cover most of the points, the best being to follow places like DX Summit. As far as stories, my first contacts with the area started in '63. At that time I used to run phone patches for a few of the stations down there and did that up into the late '60s when work and travel cut heavily into my amateur radio time. I've been fortunate to work Antarctic stations operated by a number of countries including Germany, Russia, Ukraine, US, Australia and others. I've QSL's from 21 different Antarctic stations and lack only cards for KC4USF, KC4USI and KC4USK.

8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Untitled.png

K8PG and N4GKS like this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

^ so you haven't been able to reach them in 14mo. I feel better now. :D

K8BZ likes this.
  10. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Russians seem to be most active. They were very active in October timeframe.
    (But, for complete transparency, I was at my primary Vietnam QTH when I worked them.)
    Anarctica QSL.jpg
    [​IMG]