Who has made contact with Antarctica, what frequencies and time of year?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N4GKS, Mar 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I sooooo wanna work Antarctica and the Falklands!

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's what I have in my personal and club logs for stations with the letters 'A', 'B', or 'C' in the second position of their gridsquares. (Many of them are contest contacts...)

[​IMG]

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My latest was 2/20/2016 0313Z 20M CW DP1POL worked him in Late November on 20M JT65 also.

My Antarctic contacts are on 20M and 17M , only one on 12M.

Feb, Mar, Apr , Sep, Oct Nov

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Say, folks. I got a card today from AO4HAG, 23 Feb 2016. I thought this was a Spanish station doing the recent Antarctic Activity Week thing but the card, and QRZ page, isn't totally clear if the station was in Antarctica or Spain?
    Does anyone here know for sure?

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a new General in southern California, I had very frequent contacts with KC4AAC at Palmer station....armchair copy on 20 meters most of the time. Alas, Palmer Station is, I believe, unpopulated now.

6. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see why it's confusing. QRZ page indicates that it is the Antartica call sign of the op. Appears the op is EA4GKV but the AO4HAG shows in Clublog as Spain and the map detail on QRZ shows it's about 4000 miles from me....so my guess is that it was a special event station in Spain.

K8PG likes this.
  7. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

They use bands with best propagation to areas they want to contact. Frequencies and modes are personal choices and often real-time decisions. Several countries have an op (or ops)there: Poland, Australia, United States, Argentina, Japan, France, Germany, New Zealand, the U.K., and others. So, know what prefixes to recognize. Beyond that, beam south and listen, listen, listen. Antarctica isn't rare, so you'll snare one soon.

8. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the russians always have a good signal from the antartic also the kc4aac is common worked a few time and have a car i ahve worked antarica on 40-10m 10m was at sun spot peak. its nto hard you jsut need to be patient. jt65 also gets some results from down there. i collected the antartic award for reaching 10 stations and 6 different dxcc from there.

[​IMG]

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  9. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not at my QTH presently so don't have access to my log, but I worked an Argentinian base there, 40M JT65, about 4-6 weeks ago. Early evening if I recall. This was before my spring changeover for daylight savings. As I recall from pskreporter.info at the time, both they and I weren't terribly far from the terminator daylight line, so I wondered if some/much of the propagation was gray-line. I don't normally have that kind of luck with 40M on my G5RM.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

10. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I WAS FORTUNATE TO BE CALLING CQ ON 14.187.0 ON FEBRUARY 12TH 2014 0055 UTC 100 W 20M EFZ CONTACT WAS RI1ANT MIKE FORKIN RS AT 55 NICE CHAP LOOKING FOR A CW QSO NOW ..