Who has made contact with Antarctica, what frequencies and time of year?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N4GKS, Mar 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious if anyone could supply frequencies they use, time of day, time of the year and any stories you might share about your contact(s).

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All I can suggest is watch the spots. DxWorld often has news articles about who will be operating from Antarctica. It's sporadic...the ops have to operate around their work schedules just like most of us do.

I have only worked Antarctica a couple of times...once probably 15 years ago and I never confirmed it; then again a couple of years ago and I made darn sure I sent for a qsl. RI1ANR was the station, Novo Runway, and I was rewarded with a beautiful QSL card that pictures a jet taking off from the frozen runway.

VA3RJ has a nice Antarctica page on QSL.net, and here is another good one:

http://www.ik3ger.it/dxinfo/antarctica.html

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I work them at least once a year when a friend of mine goes down there and puts kc4aaa in the air in his spare time around November / December. 14.243 seems to be a commonly used frequency by some of the Antarctic stations.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They seem to be most common during the summer-over when the bases are in full swing. November thru February.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

On the 15 meter Novice CW band in March of 1960. KC4USN at the Geographic South Pole.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All of my Antarctica contacts have been on 20m CW during their winter, when they have nothing better to do than hang out in the shack :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of my Antarctic contacts have been in the summer on twenty meters. 14.243 is a good place to start. Also be aware that many other nations have established ham radio stations on in or around Antarctica, so be checking prefix's carefully. If it is on a DX cluster the location is usually posted as well.

8. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked them on 12 through 40 and all were in February or March except one 40m contact that was in August. All contacts were between 2300 and 0200 Z.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

October and January