Who has experience with beverage antennas?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of beverage antenna array do you use? Does it hold to the standard of low noise / superior receive?

This area of interest has been caused by a need of weak signal RX capabilities for FM UHF, and I am looking to homebrew a vertical array of this or other type of low noise RX antenna. A particular array of interest is the ".625λ x .125λ spaced BS/EF vertical array" listed here: https://www.w8ji.com/receiving.htm

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It appears that your interest is UHF, FM mode operations.

Neither Beverages, nor Vertical Arrays are good choices for these bands. Atmospheric noise is normally not a limiting factor above 20m.

Yagi's, Quagi's, Loops on rotators with gain are more practical, and vastly more effective.

[edit] Beverages and Vertical Arrays are best for the low bands, 40m below, because they are highly direction and have large Nulls which reject atmospheric noise. Above 40m atmospheric noise is not a limiting factor and Gain is easily achieved.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't use one, but K2MIJ has:

KK4GGL and KE7RUX like this.
  4. KE7RUX

Gain is not the goal, rather RX only. Already having a high gain antenna for TX, I'm now seeking an omnidirectional antenna specifically for weak signal RX.

5. KA0HCP

[edit] Beverages and vertical arrays are not [effective] for use on UHF, whether for RX or TX. GAIN antennas are vastly more effective than Beverages above 40m for both RX and TX.

For higher bands there is no need, no advantage to using separate Tx/Rx antennas with opposite polarizations. Use one antenna of Gain type.

6. WN1MB

An omni-directional antenna will most certainly provide you with weak received signals ...

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. KE7RUX

If high-gain is the answer, perhaps a higher-gain antenna as compared to what I currently own is the answer (since accessible elevation is extremely limited).
    What type of omnidirectional antenna would you suggest for best weak signal RX?

8. KA0HCP

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh. *Chortle*

9. WN1MB

10. WN1MB

Mission accomplished! Have a great rest of the day.