ad: elecraft

Who else is getting started with GNU Radio?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N0NB, Jan 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that didn't go well... Is said that the installer had crashed..... :'(

2. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's not good. I'm no Ubuntu expert though if I recall, Ubuntu requires a better graphics adapter than Xubuntu, if that is indeed the issue. Without a specific error message it's rather hard to guess. Ubuntu does have some good user forums that may prove helpful.

3. KI7HSB

Yes, it would have been more helpful had I gotten a better message than...

"Installer crashed

We're sorry; the installer crashed. After you close this window, we'll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system and your installation process. The details will be sent to our bug tracker and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible."

I never got the integrated bug reporting tool... Instead I got this message

"The problem cannot be reported:

Problem parsing dependency 21 of libevent devel:amd64=3.36.0-2,
    Error occurred while processing libevent-dev (NewVersion2),
    Problem with MergeList/var/lib/apt/lists/-
    archive.ubuntu.com ubuntu dists focal main binary.
    amd64 Packages, EThe package lists or status file could not be
    parsed or opened."

After that, Unbunto seemed to start and I was presented with the desktop, but I was immediately plagues with several warning popups that said:

"Sorry, Ubuntu 20.04 has experienced an internal error.
    Send problem report to the developers?"

Included in the popup was a lot of cryptic gobbledigoo. I pressed send on each one.

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would start over. Make sure the SHA256 sum matches and use a good quality USB stick.
    Code:
    $ sha256sum ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    e5b72e9cfe20988991c9cd87bde43c0b691e3b67b01f76d23f8150615883ce11  ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

5. KI7HSB

I sincerely appreciate the help, but I am a complete noob with Linux and have no clue what you just said...

I have no need for partitions, multi-boots or any data on the drive that needs to be preserved, so I was thinking that the easy thing would be to just reformat the C: drive and then re-install from the Ubunto 20.04 bootable flash drive that I made using that rufus thing. Kind of the nuclear option, but it seems easier than troubleshooting it. From what I can get out of the forums, replacing something as old as 13.10 with 20.04 is an un-good and will bring bad juju, so I'm hoping that just wiping the disk and making a new start will work.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You are gonna have so much fun!

Maybe start with a $25 RTLSDRv3. SDR Play is good too.

Tell us how you do with it

KI7HSB likes this.
  7. K6CLS

Before you wipe the c: drive, if you want to try xubuntu (my favorite), can you make a bootable CD or USB stick and try that?

8. KI7HSB

I have created a bootable stick using the Rufus app and the .iso file for Ubuntu 20.04 that I downloaded from Ubuntu last night. That is what I was trying to load and it was going well until the last moment when I got the crashed message.

Some have suggested that you cannot update linux in such large leaps as 13.10 to 20.04 without a lot of problems. Since there is nothing else on the drive besides linux and I have no interest in dual booting another O/S and all data that should be saved has been backed up, I was thinking that a clean drive free of whatever cooties that 13.10 might have left behind would be easier.

9. K6CLS

Aha? Yes probably.

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's how you verify the integrity of the .iso file download. On Windows 10 in a command prompt window it's:

certutil -hashfile ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso SHA256

KI7HSB likes this.