Who else is getting started with GNU Radio?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N0NB, Jan 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks... I'll be here all month.

But seriously folks... I have a LINUX machine that was acquired for the purpose of interfacing with electronic gizmos and gadgets as well as a strong interest in SDR. Looks like I've stumbled into the right room. Where do I start?

2. KI7HSB

My Linux box is loaded with

GNU version 2.00-19ubuntu2.1
    Ubuntu LINUX version 13.10.

Should I be concerned about upgrades or updates before I start wading into this pond?

3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't upgrade 13.10, it's long out of support. Wait until tomorrow, download Ubuntu 20.04 and do a clean install. Then just do "sudo apt install gnuradio" and you'll have a very recent version of GNU Radio.

KI7HSB likes this.
  4. KI7HSB

Thank you.

What about the underlying OS of GNU GRB being version 2.00-19ubuntu2.1? I'm sure that needs updating too, but I'm not sure how to update the OS.

Heck... While I'm questioning if this machine is up to the task, my CPU is an AMD A W5800K 64 bit... don't know the clock speed. Is this enough horsepower?

I KNOW that my graphics card is inadequate, and planned on upgrading that ,so I wont even ask about it...

5. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the steps.

1) Backup whatever you want to save on your Linux box.

2) Download Ubuntu 20.04. It won't be available until tomorrow. https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

3) Make a bootable USB stick. https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

4) Boot from the USB drive. Select "Erase Disk and Install Ubuntu". This is what I mean by a "clean install". You don't have to worry about any previous stuff.

The AMD 5800K CPU is fine for starters. GNU Radio doesn't use the GPU, so any graphics card is fine.

KI7HSB likes this.
  6. KI7HSB

That's so easy, even I can do it..

Just to be sure... Just as I have not had to take the time, in the last couple decades, to load DOS onto a Windows machine before I install Windows because it's pretty much built into the Windows software, when I load the new LINUX software, it will likewise update the underlying GNU command line OS, right?

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that is not any kind of OS version. dunno where you got that number. but forget about it, not important.

the command line is probably bash? doesn't change much that you can tell from the outside. so you should be comfortable with basic tasks in bash.

yep!

8. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is he's referring to the Grub boot loader. Installing 20.04 in place of 13.10 should merely replace the old Grub at that step of the installation.

9. KI7HSB

Thank you! That is just what I needed to know. I'm a complete noob on Linux, but I am teachable.

I'm currently verifying that my hardware is up to the task, then I'll follow through with installing Ubuntu 20.04.

I'm taking my first steps into the SDR world by updating this machine and matching it up with an inexpensive SDR receiver only with a Discone antenna. I'll soon follow up with exploring this GNU radio thing and later a full transceiver setup to compliment the superhet.

Any thoughts on the better receiver only SDRs? The SDRPlay is on my short list...

10. KI7HSB

I'm installing Ubuntu 20.04 right now.... :)

DK7OB likes this.