ad: elecraft

Who doesn't like FREE (McAfee All access Antivirus with firewall)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD8DEY, Aug 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just found out today, That if you are a Time Warner/Spectrum internet customer,
    that you can get a copy of McAfee All Access internet security...

Of course there are a few minor hoops involved.
    You have to go into your account online and create an E-Mail account with them on the "My Internet page.

Then you click on a link to register that E-Mail with McAfee, and you are given a 15 digit number
    along with a download link. (For some reason the link didn't work with Google, Worked Ok with firefox)

Download, and run the installer & put in the 15 digit number, and your good to go.
    I just did it and there is NO expiration date listed.
    You cant use the trial version. It requires a 25 digit retail card number. The 15 digit number they give you will not work with it.you have to use the version from the download link.....

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that since last month, Google (Chrome) will balk or squawk if you tell it to go to an unsecure website (no SSL certificate), so I'm wondering if that's why you had trouble with that browser. : |

3. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

The real solution is to not use anti-virus software at all, and just use smart browsing. Smart browsing is simply using your grey matter; don't go anywhere that 's questionable, don't use social media like Facebook or Twitter, and only go to sites you trust. Never click on banner ads; if they don't visually show the url in the ad it's their loss. And never click on links either in your browser or email but instead manually type the normal url for the site if you know the site, and look for whatever manually there yourself. If you don't recognize the site in the link, simply don't go there. (Unless it's like a friends QSL.net ham site or something like that).

Never ever assume some business entity is going to protect you!!! That isn't its concern, or its reason for being. Its there to make money for somebody else.

Anti-virus slows computers and almost always is behind the curve on the newest viruses anyway. It also is impossible to design anti-virus for every browser and any piece of software designed to connect via the web or networking, so incompatibilities and conflicts are virtually guaranteed.

I haven't used AV software in over 15 years and I do not ever have a problem with viruses and malware. Then again ... I used to hack in my younger days so I know the vulnerabilities and what not to do these days. And actually, Windows 10 Pro and Win Defender does a very good job and is fairly transparent, making most AV software unnecessary or even obsolete. That and using ad blockers on your browsers goes a long way, but of course it can't replace smart browsing. (If you're using older OS's ... well ... then your very much vulnerable and your on your own).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So you don't think that a combination of the two might be more prudent? ;)

I do both and have never once been hacked, virused, attacked, robbed or stolen from.

Dave
    W7UUU

NK2U likes this.
  5. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7UUU More prudent ... not really. Maybe slightly more secure, but the compromise in performance for the computer, the use of resources by the OS services for the AV and the false sense of security degrading the "smarts" exceeds any additional benefit. If the computer isn't working well due to conflicts and incompatibility from the AV, what good is the computer from a practical perspective? A good analogy would be "if you can't hear em, you can't work em" when it come to receive in radio.

If the option is to let the computer be smarter than you but compromise its reliability, it's the equivalent of a virus or malware reducing the reliability of the computer. Either way the computer runs poorly. So using the grey matter is preferential over letting a slightly smart piece of software do the work. The fact is most people who have problems with viruses are people who have AV "protection". Most people who have secure data compromised, take some manual action (human input) to compromise it. Those who know how to browse and are diligent generally don't have these problems.

Back in the day, when I was a wise-guy kid, when Norton first came out we would use it as a backdoor for hacks, it would open and then leave open and not use many ports on a computer. Now they just take over control of everything, and everything slows to a crawl. It's been better in recent years (better heuristics), but they still are resource hogs and slow data handling tasks. Plus the incompatibility issues abound, since most apps now access the internet in some form.

Granted if you run the type of computers I do, it's most likely any AV software wouldn't compromise my performance at all. (I run big HP Z820/Z840 workstations, one with 48 cores & 512Gb RAM). I just don't need AV so why run them. Most people do not have that type of horsepower, nor would they ever need it.

Look ... it's just like anything. One needs to educate themselves so they can be less dependent on and be protected from both people and technology.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No Thanks. You can have mine.

Make sure to make a system backup before installing it.

KF5RRF likes this.
  7. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to agree with you there. McAfee ranks up there with Norton on bloat and general system mess uppage (my term). And I used to work for McAfee. Kaspersky is my go to for every system I own and all the ones I work on as well. Low impact and effective. That combined with a decent firewall, a pihole (raspberry pi network ad blocker) and safe browsing practices and you're good to go.

8. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

No thank you. McAfee = bloatware, Norton = bloatware, Kaspersky has Russian ties and also is bloatware, many other popular AVs are either made in some East European country/Russia or in Korea/China. The only one I trust now is Panda. It's made in the U.S.A., doesn't bloat your system and actually protects quite well. If I'm in-between AVs or starting over a system (nuke & repave), I'll stick M$ Defender/Security Essentials on temporarily until all the updates are applied and the preferred AV of choice is installed. Sorry, but I've been down this road too often in the 25+ years of computing.

It's either the above or go Linux. At least that is more secure than any other OS out there.

73 de KC8RLU.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

KB3VWG likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

" Smart browsing" isn't always enough. A few years ago, a friend sent me a link to the LA Times (honorable and trustworthy ????) that contained an IE Explorer virus. Since I use Firefox, no damage, but it took her several days to remove it from her system. (Sadly, she still uses IE 8.)

NK2U likes this.