ad: M2Ant-1

Who can checkout/repair amps around DFW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W7ARX, Dec 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I have limited eyesight and no desire to poke around inside HV stuff. Who around DFW can check out/repair HF amps?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably Glen, K9STH can.

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Yeah, my TL-922 one tube doesn't lite up, tried a 500ZG in the same socket and it does lite...swap back in the amperex and no joy. Suspect a short in the tube, but really like for someone to check it over just in case

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe nothing wrong at all just the tube went open filament. Use another good tube and try.

5. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Alternate tube lites up in the socket. Have not tried transmitting just yet.

6. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I did note after really investigating the tube, a small wire like the end of a paper staple, inside the glass envelope sliding around..

7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

That will be the remains of the filament !

Roger G3YRO

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW...It is probably not a good idea to run a open filament tube in a TL-922 as the filaments are in series with a center tap. The CT is not as heavy duty as the two feeds. When both tubes are running the CT will only see the slight difference in current between the two filaments and that will be the only current on the CT. With only one tube running you get the full current going down the CT and it could over heat and burn the enamel on the CT core.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Thinking the tube was a shorted tube. Tried another tube in the socket and lit fine and idled fine. Moved the other tube (working tube) into that socket and it too worked fine. So, end result, I suspect was a shorted tube.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not shorted: Open.