Whistling sound

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AD5MD, Oct 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AD5MD

AD5MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone ever heard of a high pitch whistling like sound coming from the amp (SB-1000)? I hear it once in a while and then disappears. Any idea where it's coming from and what's causing it? thanks

Ernie, AD5MD

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

May be the fan bearing. Does it stop or start if you tap the fan ?

3. AD5MD

Haven't tried but I'm guessing it could be the fan since it stops while in use the starts again after I turn off the amp. Will order a replacement, I hope it's not that difficult to replace it considering the space inside. Tnx

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A fan bearing would make the same squeal whether you were transmitting or not.

Does that happen, or does the noise occur only when you're actually transmitting?

5. AD5MD

It happens even on idle, comes and go so it most likely the fan

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's probably true.

If it happened only when you were transmitting, it could be an arc actually creating a sound (I've heard that) but if it's always there when the amp's turned on, probably the fan.

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Also check the capacitor bank for any capacitor leakage.

If the unit is Whistling Dixie, then someone has replaced the capacitors with Suthu'n caps. :)

Phil

ND6M likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an SB-200 that would do that. I was the fan. Once I replaced it, the noise was gone.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had good luck lubricating the fan.

I use sewing machine oil. It seems to work good and can get into the bearing.

If the blade wobbles it needs to be replaced.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HV arcs can whistle but you would probably be blowing fuses. I agree try lubing the fan. If that cures it you can get a spare fan and replace it when it gets noisy again.