ad: MultusSDR-1

Whistlers on the HF bands

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC8VWM, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KG6EQD

KG6EQD Ham Member QRZ Page

whistlers

mid 50s take a high gain audio preamp at the input wind yourself a loop antenna about 1200 feet long about 4ft dia
    add a headset and wander out to mid nowhere and happy listening i was led to this by my scoutmaster w6mqg(sk)

2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I obtained a radio license I was a short wave listener for many years and I used to hear all sorts of differerent celestial noises which were unable to be identified, they were just noises which were heard, from somewhere in space.

I do remember whistlers, but I don't think radio amateurs in general would be aware of these noises because they were talking and not listening. I did hear an old sound a few weeks ago, the sound which slowly moves upwards on 40 metres until it just dies away. Then there are the band opening noises which sound like flub a lub a lub.....flub a lub a lub. Another one is the sound of waves as the water rushes over pebbles on a beach, then another one which people refer to as the dragons breath, it it an imaginary sound like flames, or maybe like the gas jet being turned on in a hot air balloon.

To hear these things we need sunspots and an active ionosphere, anyone know where we can find some ?

G0GQK

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Naturally occurring whistlers would never occur on HF....that's a VLF phenomenon. However, there are a lot of scientific instruments in the H.F. band that could sound like whistlers. I suspect you may be hearing a channel probe.

Eric

4. M0WAN

M0WAN Ham Member QRZ Page

'Whistlers' as heard in VLF and ULF receivers don't really sound much like whistles - it's a name given to them by telegraph operators of old who used to hear them amongst the static picked up on long lines. I have spent many an idle hour listening to these odd audio frequency phenomenon.

I will go along with the channel probe or particularly the ionosonde identificaton. These can be a good indication of the presence of good propogation, even if you don't hear any normal stations.

Goooogle ionosonde and find out a bit about the equipment and the way it is used - all interesting stuff.

5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep I've em..... the whistlers and the HARRRRLOW's blowin' mi' ear drums out! :D

I have heard those whistlers but never below about 14Mhz not sure if it's also caused by the Earth magnetic field and the Van Allen belt, isn't there some phenomenon when the Earth magnetic field changes and during solar storms?

Also heard kinda roaring sound that seems to peak around 26 mHz and a few Mhz wide, maybe as high as 4 or 5 S points on the meter, sounds like a triode heptode frequency changer on a bad day for want of a description. I think I can put this down to Jupiter.

Dave

6. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You aren't hearing whistlers. You are probably hearing man-made stuff. Whistlers are a very low frequency thing, not above VLF.

Maybe, if it aligns with the time Jupiter is in the sky and the moons of Jupiter are right and it also makes the right noise. It is never very strong though, so being S4-5 casts some doubt on Jupiter or galactic sources.

There are many dirty sources near 27 MHz, including self-excited oscillators for heating.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't heard any whistlers, but I know his mother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.