ad: AlphaRF-1

Which young hams run mobile?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KJ5T, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not get an IC-706 of FT-100D and just run it at low power with a gel cell battery?

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want a qrp rig(2 actually). I want a 703+ on base and an 817nd for portable use. I had the 100d and the 706(all flavors), didnt like the 100d.

3. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well....when you make up a proper mount for the radio ( i made a sheet metal cabnet that sits on the floor well on the passenger side ( Pfft passengers! ). works pretty damn good if you ask me, noise blanker is great to reduce the crappy alternator noise i have ( alternator is on its way out ).

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Life's too short for QRP :)

On a more serious note, both seem like great little rigs. I keep thinking about getting the 817 as I travel, and it might be fun to work PSK or RTTY from the Hotels. But I do not travel enough to justify it at this time. Good luck with what ever you get.

I guess I could have done the same with my 718, but opted for getting a smaller rig. I am glad that the 730 works for you, hopefully I will catch you on the air. One of these days I want to make it up to Canada. The organization I work for as an office in Vancouver so I am hoping I get to go there. VE7/KJ5T has a nice ring to it.

5. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, I have an amp as well. Noting wrong with a little balance.:)

6. VK3FTIM

VK3FTIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gday

I run my Icom ic718 HF in the car when in long trips

i use a 1/4 17 meter vertical antenna with a HF base whip at the bottom and i use a LDG z100 auto tune and it get's the antenna down onto 80 meters

:)

7. WA7NXI

WA7NXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice splitty. I thought I was the only guy in AZ that had split window VW's and a Ham op also! Cool. look up the Arizona bus club, tell 'em the air conditioned split window bus guy sent ya......

8. WA7NXI

WA7NXI Ham Member QRZ Page

here is my baby, inside is a Icom 706MKIIG, nott ltd. BB-3 screwdriver, glass mount 2 meter antenna....works pretty good except aircooled vw's are nasty noisy old vehicles so it's better being parked to work on the air as opposed to driving.

9. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Das Auto!

Wanna trade?

10. KC9KSL

KC9KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my FT-2800 along with my 45 wat motorola fire radio, and of course the forbidden CB(we use it on the farm). All in my Crew Cab 2500 Dodge Cummins. Whip antennas of course:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.