ad: w5yi

Which young hams run mobile?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KJ5T, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5TMU

KD5TMU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run 2m/440 in my car, hoping one day within the year to upgrade also to HF mobile. Current rig is a Yaesu FT-7800R with a Diamond (forget model) dual-band on NMO Mag up top. Car is a 1999 Oldsmobile Sillhouette Minivan.

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The nice thing about a minivan is you will have more room for rigs and probably have an easier time getting a bigger antenna on there. Good luck and I hope to work you in the near future.

off topic-- you live in IL with a 5 call? What 5-land state were you first licensed?

3. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

I run 2m FM mobile from my 97' sunfire. I use a IC-V8000 and an MFJ Mag mount. I have been considering completely redoing it to put in APRS and HF capabilities. But theres no good spot to mount a radio....the littlest of many concerns :)

Contact wise...I don't make very many since I mainly use it to scan police and fire...but occasionally I check in to nets and have little local qso's here and there. I also will be doing some skywarn spotting once the season fires up, and i get my certification.

I can't wait to have a mobile antenna farm. I enjoy the looks people give me having only one extra antenna. Its a good conversation starter and ended up making a new ham.

4. KE7ULA

KE7ULA Ham Member QRZ Page

My only radio is a mobile: 7800R with a Larsen dual band in a Geotool stake pocket mount. I too mostly listen to police traffic with occasional HAM use while wheeling. Vehicle is an 01 Tundra.

5. KD0EWZ

KD0EWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

DR-1200T in my 08 canyon

6. KD5TMU

KD5TMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Louisiana. When I upgrade to extra, and get a vanity call, I'm going to stick with a 5 call, because I hate DAHs in a row! At least, sending them, it breaks my rhythm

7. KJ4ITQ

KJ4ITQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 22 and I will be putting my first mobile (first rig period) in my second car this evening!

8. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm 18 and run mobile.

'98 Mercury Mystique
    Icom IC-730
    Icom IC-2000H
    Larsen VHF ant
    20M Hamstick
    80M Hamstick
    HF Antennas are mounted on a home made bumper mount.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent set-up. How is the 730 mobile?

10. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Im thinking about setting up mobile/portable but only because I am going to buy a qrp rig(not sure which one yet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.