ad: Alphaant-1

Which young hams run mobile?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KJ5T, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it would be interesting to find out which young hams here have a mobile set-up. I know that getting that first car is a lot of fun, and getting a mobile set-up is even more fun. I finally after years of putting it off purchased an IC-706 this past weekend at a hamfest and ordered a Tarheel II and hoping to be fully mobile by the end of the week. Currently running 2 meters with a mag mount until the Tarheel II comes and I can hook the radio to HF. When I get the system fully installed I will post pictures (or whenever I get around to it).

So who here has a mobile set-up? What kind of contacts have you made? What does your equipment consist of?

2. KF4KQS

KF4KQS Ham Member QRZ Page

well, isnt my first car, im 21, but, i have a 2 meter yaesu in the car now, with a mag mount on top. in my vw, i had the 2 meter, and a 10 meter rig in it.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont anymore but at one time I ran a FT-100d in my cobalt. Generic 2m/70cm mag mount and a Wilson 1000 for 10m. As of now I run nothing, not really in my youth but Im still young for a ham. Before I got my cobalt I had the 100d in my dakota, I had to remove the ashtray and make a custom mount for the face plate(that was fun).:p Maybe one day I will throw the 7000 in the car but I doubt it. I did not get into mobile operations, IDK why but I didnt.

4. KJ5T

Yes, I am 20 and my car isn't my first car either. First was a 94' Astro van and I only ran 2 meters with a mag mount and an HTX-202 mobile. I have wanted to run HF mobile for a while and kept putting it off as I wanted to wait until I could invest in a decent antenna and radio. The 706 I think will serve me well, and I have heard great things about the Little Tarheel II, though still waiting for it to arrive.

@KI4MXO: Now the VW microbus would serve very well as a portable ham shack, I imagine you could live out of the thing :)

@KB3LAZ: What are you doing with the FT-100D now? Mobile is fun for those of us that do not have our own home stations. There is a tower and radio in my office as I work for a non-profit and I helped them get ham capability; however, it will be nice to have my own mobile set-up.

5. KC8LEQ

KC8LEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a college student and put about 400 miles on in a week. I do a lot of driving. I use a Kenwood TS-480Sat, and a TM-V7a. I drive a 2002, 4door Chevy Blazer. Mounted the face of the V7a on top of the dashboard, makes it a bit easier to see even though I have to keep on adjusting the contrast. I have an aftermarket CD player with a gap under it in the dash, so I made a wooden block and mounted the 480sat faceplate under that. Seems to work nicely.

As for my antenna I use both the Hustler NewTronics with the renoators and the High Sierra Slim antennas. I like the high sierras for the look of them, less tempting to mess with unlike the looks of the hustlers. However I think the hustlers are a better antenna.

I've had some good DX contacts in the last few week with both antennas. Europe on 40m and Brazil and some islands off the cost of Cuba on 20m.

I'd say about 80% of my operating is done in the mobile.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold the 100d around this time last year.

7. KD8JFO

KD8JFO Ham Member QRZ Page

dont have a car yet still have my permit, but my only radio is a 2m kenwood tm241a with an astron power supply, when i get a car i will probly stick the kenwood in the car and by then i should have enough for a new rig for the house..

8. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an alinco-605t at Hoss-Traders with my brother for our car. It has my dad's newer alinco in it now, We run 2m/70cm. It is definetely nice ot run mobile on the long trips to and from RIT as well as the short commuting to work and friends at other nearby colleges.

9. KJ4HPV

KJ4HPV QRZ Member

I have a yeasu Ft-2800 in the car, with a perm. mount 1/4 wave. I also have a 11m rig, but I keep that on the down low. :)

10. KJ5T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.