Which used radios are now overpriced, being most affected by the FTDX-10?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And then down the road you would be disappointed you sold it. Inflation is taken off , making the dollar worth less, food prices are really bad as well.

I have a TH-D74 in like new shape but decided to keep it. It is the best GPS hand held in a radio. I have FT3 and FT1D, and VX-8G GPS / APRS radios as well. If I rated the GPS part, acting like a real get waypoints, and the way to get APRS positions into waypoints and follow them live the D74 is the tops, the VX-8G second, the Icom 51-A+ [now sold] impossible to use as a hand held GPS in that manner.

Edit: Next it has all mode all band receive. I have actually copied the Net Control of a 80 meter SSB net on the HT sitting in my living room easy chair on that radio. I sold my FT-817 I used for tracking down noise when I discovered this worked just as good.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    KC3RN and KO4ESA like this.
  2. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan to keep the thd74. I also have an ic705. Both radios have been excellent.

KA4DPO and N3AWS like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

But the same year TS-950SDX is still Selling for about half of new or more depending upon options.
    And dont bother me with a inflation calculator:p:D

KA4DPO and KO4ESA like this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still very content with my old Yaesu FT 1000MP MK V Field. Does everything I need/want an HF radio to do and does it well. Tempted to go with something newer but so far haven't bit the bullet. If I do I will sell the MK V but it will be priced to sell quickly

WD4ELG and KO4ESA like this.
  5. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

any radio that dosnt have a band scope. I see adds for ts-450,,$900. If you own a radio, that has no band scope, its worth less than $500. period.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see a band scope on the new Hilberling model PT-8000A
    will you sell me yours for $500.00??
    Oh, you wouldn't have one, no "scope".

PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the PT-8000A still on the market? It sure had a lot of problems for a rig with such a high price tag.

KO4ESA, KA4DPO and NG4F like this.
  8. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you pay $800-$900 for a ts-850, or an ic 765, or any radio from the 90's, when you can get a 7300, that has built in sound card, and all the goodies for $1000? I've seen 7300's used for $750. The 7300 was a game changer. Of course there are some exceptions. Like maybe an ft1000, or an ic 775,,, but just a common old 100 watt radio is worth less than $500.. Just my opinion.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Mint FT-2000PEP is still worth more than $1000. And it performs better than my 7300 $850 band scope; especially on SSB both in RX warmth and audio, and in TX talk power and audio quality from NCS reports. I'll play with my nice band scope toy and then talk on my FT-2000 with a Heil Mic on my Amp. A 7300 can even damage an outboard amp if you don't know about it's problem and fix it with the Tips from the Sherwood page.

Even my FT-991 performs better RX and TX SSB than the 7300 that has a better band scope. 7300 I dedicate to digital modes it does well with , and "SIGINT" on the band scope, takes nice snapshots.

FT-450Ds sell for about $550 ish now

WD4ELG, KO4ESA and K2CD like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought the Hilberling looked more like a kitchen appliance than a radio. I don't think they have been very successful, at least not in the US.

KO4ESA, KM1H and N3AWS like this.