Which used radios are now overpriced, being most affected by the FTDX-10?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which radios are most likely to see a massive drop in value, now that the FTDX-10 has come out? Looking at the landscape, I can say that the Elecraft KX3 will be one -- or perhaps its side panadapter add-on could be. When you add up the price of a KX3 plus panadapter, and a few accessories, you're well over the price of a new FTDX-10, which Sherwood is now ranking extremely high (top 3 or so, per his list). Carrying around and attaching add-ons makes for a gangly mess, compared to just outright getting an FTDX-10 for less, and all in one package.

Other radios to drop in price? Icom 7610. I see this radio taking a big sales hit. Not sure I'd want to hold onto one, given the immediate drop in value these will see.

If the 7300 shook up the entry-level market, I think the FTDX-10 is going to pulverize sales and used prices on mid-level machines.

OLDARCHER, KE0GXN and WW2PT like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree mostly agree. It will be a big seller thats for sure. Might not go into 7300 territory, but it should sell well.

OLDARCHER and WW2PT like this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve got one coming tomorrow. I need a new appliance to operate while I procrastinate on building the QCX-mini that Santa Morse brought me.

N5HXR, WD3N, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

None. Ham never recognize depreciation. They still want top dollar for the just 'barely used' one they got third-hand in 1997.

AA5BK, M3MEG, KM4FVI and 21 others like this.
  5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Whichever piece of gear offered for more than USD (price here) after two/three-year usage is absolutely overpriced.
    Galore greedy hams down here, paired with dumb buyers, what u all think of, investments?
    Or is it that instead of a hobby you're dealing with cutting edge high end military radio-electronics. Get your feet down to earth.
    Foreseeing the greatest sell-off of all times, not that newest rig's fault, just 'cause of ageing.
    Get rid of your stuff while propagation is getting better, last chance.

KA0USE and KI5LTA like this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am interested in playing with one as long as its someone elses, so i am coming over yours next week to try it out ;). I have build 4 receivers in as many weeks, they all worked to some degree but none will set the house on fire LOL. If anything, i know how to build grand piles of garbage LOL. Good luck with the QCX mini build. Cant knock Hans Summers he makes great stuff.

WD3N likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let them keep it, then. It'll be cheaper when they're gone.

No, the Icom 7300 has a lock on the cheaper entry-level side. The FTDX10 and it's features/performance, however, has just made a lot of used radios in the $1,500 and up range to be much, much less interesting.

W4HWD and PU2OZT like this.
  8. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams have been doing this for decades.

Buy a new rig for $3000 in 1989, use it for 30 years, then try to sell it for $3000 thirty years later.

Along those same lines, I'd like to have a KXPA100 for my KX2, but I am not willing to spend $1200 on a 100 watt amplifier.

AA5BK, KA0USE, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same old blather. Nothing is going to massively drop in price. Performance and reliability of radios doesn't change just because something new comes out. They hold value because people who prefer them still value them.

N2EY, AB0R, NL7W and 6 others like this.
  10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you know.... it may just happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Every time a good new radio comes out, somebody posts or writes in a magazine "This new radio is certainly going to knock the used gear prices through the floor"... or something similar. Yet the shift never seems to be as great as predicted, and / or fails to materialize completely. Some of the old radios do drop in price, while others remain unphased.

Sure the new radio might be inexpensive and perform WAY better than anything that has come before, but hams are notorious for over-valueing their older gear..... and if the market will pay these high prices, then that is their current value, no matter how wonderful the new radio might be.

N2EY and KR3DX like this.