Which SUV to Buy for Radios?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by DJ0QN, Oct 14, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. DJ0QN

DJ0QN QRZ Lifetime Member #99 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am moving to SW Florida next week and need to buy a new car. I know little about cars in general and even less about cars in the U.S.

We would like to buy a mid-sized SUV. One example would be the Subaru Explorer, but there are many (too many) others in this category.

Of course I would like to install some radios, most likely two VHF/UHF rigs and one for the HF bands. I need to be concerned with space for these rigs, as well as any technical issues that a car may cause or become affected.

So therefore I am looking for recommendations from the community as to what to buy, or perhaps what not to buy. It would be great to limit the selection as early as possible, since this is somewhat overwhelming for us.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

2. KE0BFY

KE0BFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.... that question has a lot of different answers...,. if you need 3 radios, space will be limited no matter what vehicle you choose
    ... if you could get by with one radio... say a yaesu 857D...(what I use in my vehicle) then any car you choose will have some option for mounting the
    display head with the other parts under the front seat..... good luck

N0RDC likes this.
  3. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never heard of a Subaru Explorer but I do have a 2016 Subaru Outback. It is a wonderful car. If the radios you are thinking of have removable faceplates then mounting them under the front seats and the then putting the faceplates in the storage console just in front of the gear shift should be possible. I've only got a single VHF/UHF radio in mine and it is one of the really small Chinese models (QYT KT-8900). It mounts nicely above and in front of my right knee, but anything larger would be a problem.

K6CLS likes this.
  4. DJ0QN

DJ0QN QRZ Lifetime Member #99 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply, but it was many months after I made my move and I have long since bought my car. We bought a Ford Edge,
    but I have not had had time to build radios into it.

Mitch K7DX

5. N0RDC

N0RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

The biggest, cheapest one you can afford, so you can run moire radios!!!!!
    In my FOrd F350 (wish I could find a good Ford Excursion 2005) I ran a Verically Driven Products SHELF-It and drilled the front of the shelf to fit the remote mount for my FT-857D, it was up out of the way and made an easy hide, unclip and lay up on the shelf.
    After my accident, I bought an 06 Dodge 2500 and used an A pillar gauge to mount my XM, WatchDog engine Monitor and the remote for the 857, everything was on the a pillar and in my line of sight, but not in my way.
    Having room for gear is always a plus, so any good sized SUV will be good, but you CANNOT beat the combo of size, milage and room of an Excursion, and the F350 gauge pod fits perfectly in it. Get one with a 7.3 diesel (pre 2003.5) or get a 6.0 and fix the weak links in it. Getting 20 mpg AND having more room than any other SUV ever is a good combo!!

73s N0RDC DE Dutch