ad: expert-3

Which software for PSK31 decodes best?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WF7BSR, Jul 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used lots of different software over my 18 years on PSK31. They all seem to work generally the same. As said above, it's about features. I currently use FLDigi because it offers many modes and also has the messaging and rig control suites. I'd look for at what you want to do and the user interface more than performance when choosing a software program.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used two different digital software packages, Fldigi and HRD. Both seem about equal when it comes to dealing with a variety of different digital modes. I haven't noticed any differences in decoding/coding. Of the two Fldigi seems to do a very slightly better job decoding CW, but other than that the digital capabilities of both seem about the same.

Fldigi is fairly barebones, with minimal logging capabilities, but it works very well indeed, isn't too hard to set up, and is fairly easy to learn to use. It is also a free download. If Fldigi were the only digital mode software I could use I would not be unhappy about it.

HRD has a trial version you can use free for 30 days so you can give that a try as well. It is going to be more difficult to learn to use than Fldigi, but it's a much more complex system that incorporates just about everything an amateur radio operator would want in a software package. I liked the current version so well that I actually spent money (yes, real money) to buy the thing and I haven't regretted it.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really haven't noticed any difference in the major players. I'm using DM780. It's convenient, being part of HRD. What matters most is tuning the individual signals however your software has you do that, and that may take a while to get used to.

4. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is a Linux-only shack and I've been compiling fldigi from source for the past few years. No reason to use anything else. As far as decoding goes, I think it's mostly a function of your antenna and rig settings -- RF gain, squelch and the like. You need to find the sweet spot, and that varies depending on how bad the band conditions are, the band you're using, time of day, etc.

73, KD0KZE / Paul