Which repeaters should I put into my hand held radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jul 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, the grumpy Debbie Downers just love to rain on everyone.

Well -

Along the Front Range the repeaters I know of are friendly and, though certainly not as busy as before cell phones, there is often someone listening, especially on the big linked repeater systems going across the state. Even 146.52 usually gets a response - in fact it might be me as I monitor when I'm in the shack.

2. PE1CHL

PE1CHL Ham Member QRZ Page

That happens, although when it happens on the repeater here I think it usually is because the
    visitor calls in his own language and not everyone is able or willing to respond in that language.
    Over the past few years the repeater has been very busy, often transmitting at least 18-20 hrs/day,
    and it used to be difficult to place a call as there were always people chatting. Fortunately it is
    tapering off a bit, so non-regulars get a chance as well.

AA1PR likes this.
  3. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

A Baufang radio is fine, for what it is! That being a great entry radio into the hobby of amateur radio! As such scolding someone for not learning how to progam one of those radios manually is just plain silly! They are incredably hard to program correctly! So it isn't worth the trouble!!! just get a cable and Chirp, and go for it! :) In fact the latest version of Chirp even allows you to download repeaters from various online web pages, then incorporate that list into the channels on the radio!

Also people on the air are not that different from people any where. It might take some time for people to get to know you! So checking into local Nets is a good thing! For lots of reasons!

Just remember that if it is a Baufang, you have to scream into the damn thing!!! :)

4. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As much as some hate it, put the echolink app on your phone before you leave hone. Great way to communicate when the local repeater is dead.

G3SEA likes this.
  5. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I know which HT you're talking about and I have no difficulty manually programming mine. Just sayin'.

6. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why even bother with the hotspot, just bring a cell phone with echolink.

...or just bring a cellphone?

G3SEA likes this.
  7. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No question, Repeater Book.
    Best APP I've found.

8. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

or your cell with zoiper/iaxrpt for allstar access too

G3SEA likes this.
  9. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be inclined to agree. I travel a lot and have great luck with repeaterbook. The app is much nicer than the ARRL app

It's amazing how much busier the repeaters are when you get to areas with sketchy cell phone service.

10. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, this option also guarantees that you will not be able to program your radio unless you DO bring your computer. Most of the DMR rigs do not have access to the VFO.

I prefer my TH-F6 and a RepeaterBook list. Patience and a willingness to talk as well as listen, and the flexibility to add new repeaters that might not be in RepeaterBook yet.

But what the hey, just because I do it that way doesn't mean everybody has to.

AA1PR likes this.