Which Radio would you choose and why???

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0MIO, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Which Radio would you pick

1. Yaesu FT-857D

28.6%
  2. Yaesu FT-450D

25.7%
  3. Icom 7000

40.7%
  4. Icom 706MKIIG

8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 857D with two optional filters that I take mobile and portable. If you start adding up the cost of a new 857D with 2 optional filters installed, it levels the playing field some. Knowing what I know now, I would go for the 7000. You may have a need for narrow filtering down the road with lots of adjustibility. A lot of these rigs may look bigger in a picture than in person. I also have the Yaesu FT-950 which to me fits pretty good on the desktop. Some of these rigs in the advertising look a little bigger than in person.

Jon

2. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, in your area you'll find quite a few hams; Springfield has some active repeaters and probably an active club or two...Lots of activity in NW Arkansas. Talk to these folks!

Jon

3. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good Jon. I am actually the net control for the Southwest Missouri Amateur Radio Club and we do have a net every Friday night. I hate to say it but not many repeaters are active. I am able to hit 30 or so and maybe 1-2 are active. Otherwise the other 28 are silent. It's a shame really. 73's

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone who's used any of these little rigs and then tries a "bigger" rig is blown away.

For mobile/portable use, the little rigs definitely have their place. For home station use, I can't use any of them.

Try a demo if you can and see the difference. It's impossible to not notice.

5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. It took me weeks to get my FT950 to hear as well as my TS480 out of the box. And my TS590 isn't massively better ears than my TS480 - it just handles close by strong signals far better and has better connectivity with the USB. Likewise comparing my TS480 to my clubs TS850.

You have a point comparing a FT857 or Icom 706/7000 to a dedicated HF/HF+6 but not something like the FT450 or TS480 on anything other than selectivity.

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7000 and 703 have a larger display than most and I still feel that my 703+ has a better receiver than my 7000 but I may be full of it. Trying both on AV-18HT and a 270' OCFD on A/B switch. It seems that on 6m my FT-5000 is best but my FT-847 works very well still even for an older radio.

I can't figure for the life of me why you had to do anything to get the FT-950 to out perform the the TS-480 that should have been a no brain er just plug it in and enjoy. The numbers tell the story between the 2 did you do a complete reset of the radio to get default settings in case someone had screwed it up?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT950 was brand new from the shop. The FT950 needed constant tweaking of something or other whereas the TS480, like the TS590 was a turn it on and use it and it gives its best from the get go.

8. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I have owned both. Used them aboard ships for several years. Actu8ally had one of each at the same time for a while. While the Yaesu is definitely less expensive, the 7000 is, in my op0nion, a far superior rig.. the menues are very intuitive and the screen is much easier to read. When I retired and started to lose kmy eyesight, I traded the 7000 fopr a 746 pro becvause of the larger display and fewer menues. I was happy as a pig in poop until I got my Yaesu FT1000.. Still have the 746 but it's now the back up rih.. With your choices, i would go with the 7000.. It wou8ld be money well spent.

Lee
    NI7I

9. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

So far I'm pretty happy with the 857D I have used a couple of times with a 7000 but I can't really tell much of a difference. I know the 7000 does have the IF shift where the 857D does not. Other than that It's pretty much the same to me :)

10. NI7I

NI7I Guest

It's good that you are happy with your choice. I'm sure you will enjoy the rig. I enjoyed mine. I just apreciated the 7000 more. The differences are huge but if you cant see them, your choice is of course, the best one. You saved a bucket of money to boot. Have fun. It's a great hobby.

Lee
    NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.