ad: UR5CDX-1

Which Radio would you choose and why???

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0MIO, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Which Radio would you pick

1. Yaesu FT-857D

28.6%
  2. Yaesu FT-450D

25.7%
  3. Icom 7000

40.7%
  4. Icom 706MKIIG

8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out which radio to get. I have only played with two of the four radio's to choose from. I am wanting to know which one performs, receives, and just works better overall and why would you choose one of the four radios. I want to know what your experiences are with any of the following radio's. How well does the DSP work, NB, all of the filters, anything and everything.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the choice is mobile operation, the IC-7000 wins hands down. The 857 is tied with the 706 in second place. The 450? It's too big for most mobiles, and there are just too many quirky things about it. It is not Yaesu's best effort, even for an inexpensive radio.

3. N0MIO

Well this will be my first hf radio. it is quite possible that I may or may not want to do hf mobile. but I think I would like it. I'm just not a huge fan of those big desk radios

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd pick the IC-7000 also for a mobile-sized rig.

For home, I hate all the "small" rigs, they just don't have the features I need at home. But for mobile or portable work the 7000 is a very good choice.

For a "smallish" rig that has more performance than any of those listed, I'd pick the Ten Tec Eagle. However it doesn't cover 2m/70cm, which the other rigs do. I had the chance to use an "Eagle" only two weeks ago. It blows you away.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-7000, Wouldn't give it a second thought given the choices or even their prices.

6. N0MIO

What features do the small radio's not have that you are either wanting or do not perform like the big desk radio's like the FT-847?

7. AB9RU

AB9RU Ham Member QRZ Page

They can have large heat sinks for the fans to blow on. I have a FT857D and after tx'ing a few minutes at 20 watts on PSK31 the fan would run for at least 2 minutes longer. I wouldn't consider the 847 a big desk radio, too many menu options that should have switches and push buttons instead(it hasn't been produced for over 12 years now). You usually get what you pay for, and it isn't really anyone elses opinion that counts, you have to get one that you like, can afford, and can feel comfortable operating in the environment that you want to use it, mobile, base, or both

8. N0MIO

My question is it worth paying almost double the price of an 857d to get the icom 7000

9. AB9RU

AB9RU Ham Member QRZ Page

You will have to hope someone that reads this has owned both, I am pretty sure the DSP on the 857 is AF(audio) whereas IF would be a considerable improvement, I have no idea if the icom has that

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I am growing tired of my IC-706MK2, and would like to try another rig. The 7000 is nice but very PRICEY!!! So I need to f ind a DEAL on a FT-857D and see if that works better. I worry about the menus though, I have heard they are a nightmare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.