ad: M2Ant-1

Which one to buy? Ham amplifier.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF6PJW, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF6PJW

KF6PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW how much does one of those amps cost? probably as much as your car Dave. ALS-600 with power supply?

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

U can score a nice, a VERY NICE Heathkit SB-200 for that, probably already with the Harbach mods and recapped as well. Or U can get a garden variety one and do all the mods yourself. A SB-200 will DO the WARC BANDS just fine. And 572Bs are ALOT cheaper than 3-500Zs!

Just make sure U have the SOFT KEY mod so U don't blow away the relay in your rig!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ALS-600 without power supply doesn't do you much good, unless you happen to have a 50Vdc 20A power supply hanging around.

4. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi to ya all

If it had to be my choise.
    I would go for an AL80B.
    It might be neccecary to save a bit money more though.

Did you also think about the upgrades your station might need to run an amp with about 500 watts , like a bigger ATU or a higher power level antenna or better feedlines?

For about the nice red FIAT (Ferrari) I do like my yellow vw bug a lot, and the Fiat thing was just to tease you hihi
    Wonderfull car and keep it rolling.

73 Jos

5. KF6PJW

KF6PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

OOOOO more good ideas thanks guys. :O)

6. WV3E

WV3E Ham Member QRZ Page

Save up for an Elecraft KPA-500. I've had mine for a while now, and I'm pleased as punch with it. It's better built that the MFJ/Ameritron offerings, and not as pricey or fragile as the Tokyo High Power. It has excellent protection from high SWR and overdrive. I've accidentally tested the protection on occasion, and it "just works". The auto band switching is darn near instantaneous and operator-proof. Also, unlike the ALS-600, there's no separate power supply. The amp is self contained in one chassis about 10"x12"x4", roughly 30 lbs.

If you can't buy one used, get it in kit form to save a few bucks. The kit involves mechanical assembly only, no soldering. All testing and calibration is done at the factory. Just bolt it together, plug in the wiring harness, and you're on the air. The assembly instructions were clear and easy to follow. The build took me 4 leisurely hours from opening the box to calling CQ, and required only simple tools.

Good luck in your amplifier search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.