ad: hrd-2

Which one to buy? Ham amplifier.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF6PJW, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KF6PJW

KF6PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a ham amp for my little shack.,
    i am wondering if anyone knows the names of amplifiers that are solid state mayby 500 watts for around $500, bucks?
    I hope this isnt a really dumb question. If so please disreguard and laugh outloud roll your eyes . Kf6pjw ward

thanks for l@@king:)
    . RADDIO SHACK 1-25-2013.jpg

2. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not gonna happen. You might find a used AL-811 for that price, or an older Heathkit or similar, but solid state? Not likely.

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I want some of whatever you're smoking....

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Used AL-811s can be found for about that price, but they're not solid state. Ditto used SB-200s and similar (also not solid state).

5. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be thinking of the RM Italy solid state amps that have way over inflated values that put out very dirty signals at those levels.

In general you can probably find one of the aforementioned tube amps for 500 bucks if you wait a while. The going price for the ALS-600 - probably the most popular economic solid state amp is 800-1000 bucks.

They work fine for 600w PEP and 400w CW/Digital.

6. KF6PJW

OK so looks like I ll have to go tube, do all tube amp work on my kenwood 690sat same as kenwood 450 sat?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tube amps will work fine with either one. The only thing to be careful of: Many "older" tube amplifiers (mostly from the 1970s or earlier) have higher voltage or higher current keying systems that can be incompatible with modern SS transceivers, even including some transceivers using relays. Always check the "maximum keying voltage and current" ratings for your transceiver, and what is required by the amplifier.

ANY older amplifier can be modified to accommodate modern keying systems, but you may have to do that yourself if it hasn't already been done. Modern amplifiers don't have this issue. None of the Ameritron amplifiers have this issue.

8. KF6PJW

thanks for the advice I shall consider your offerings and see what comes up Thanks so much always a pleasure hearing your opinions

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Were it me in your shoes, I'd "save up for" a good used ALS-600 with power supply. Very small footprint,
    and pretty bullet-proof from everything I've read. I've never run any sort of amp but I have flirted with the
    idea of the ALS-600 maybe at some point.... some day when "I can hear them" - but for now, 100W gets
    me by with the electrical noise I deal with most of the time.

Dave
    W7UUU

ps - very nice station! I love the old Trio/Kenwood rigs - had all of those myself once upon a time

10. KF6PJW

Hi Dave, I'm going right out and paint my car red just like yours WOW so it will love me too (vw) hi hi thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.