Which of 2 compromize long wire setups?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K7GAF, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K7GAF

K7GAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

I have a long wire antenna on a remote tuner. It works okay on most bands but could be better. There are limitations because of an HOA and the necessity of stealth design. The current antenna has some compromises. I can think of another way to hide a long wire that removes these compromises but adds others. I am wondering which of these would be better:

The current wire is at the 57ft sweet spot length, straight, roughly horizontal in free air. So far so good but the compromise on this one is that it is fairly low (about 7-10 ft) and houses around (especially mine) are somewhat blocking its takeoff.

The alternative would be to put it up on the roof. The advantages would be that it is higher and not blocked by other houses and that I can potentially go to the next sweet spot of ~110ft for all-band coverage.

What would be worse that the current setup: no longer in free air and no longer a straight line.

So my question is: would the length extension and height increase more than make up for the compromise of not having a straight free-in-the air antenna?

Thank you and 73
    Marco K7GAF

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd go with the higher antenna whether or not it's also made longer. A higher horizontal antenna, especially one that gets above a lot of the local clutter will almost always out perform a low horizontal antenna.

KJ4RT, WB5YUZ and K7GAF like this.
  3. K7GAF

Thank you, K7TRF!

I guess, I'll just try. Despite my initial concerns, I don't really have to move my tuner or remove my current long wire, I can just start the new one from the same feed point and just switch out the actual wire connected to the tuner.

I will lay the wire on the roof, up on the near side side, down the far side, then back up the far side and back down the near side. Looking from above it would look like a "V". I figure, the radiation pattern will be crazy anyway. My calculations look like that 111ft will definitely be a better length than the 57ft for all bands. With the increased height and fewer obstructions, I'm hoping for the best.

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

my wire is not quite 16 feet up. points out toward new mexico. guy in hawaii says "nice signal" ! off the end. in boston behind, same thing. texas and canada are good too. all bands with appx 80 feet,one trap..sg230 tuner. i think the pattern is 360 deg because its low. ???
    im near s bend indiana

K7GAF likes this.
  5. K7GAF

I guess whatever I do, height can't be substituted with any other upside. What I'm trying to do will make the wire go up and down, with about 25 feet at the highest point, where there is no obstruction in any direction. Now I can't wait to get it up there tomorrow...

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You could add radials for the wire to work against, reducing ground losses.

It also helps to have the vertical part as far away from the house as possible, such as running it up a tree and back to the house. The better reception will often compensate for the loss in transmit efficiency. Particularly on digital modes like FT8.

7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Marco, on your existing antenna, describe the method used to connect the remote tuner to earth?

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a similar antenna. Problem I have had with going over the house is RFI. There is lots of racket coming from the house and the noise floor is
    bad. I now run my antennas away from the house as far as possible. Agree with the radials / counterpoise and mine tunes best when fed with a 4:1
    unun. 9:1 might work well too. Dont forget a common mode choke on the coax coming into the house.

9. K7GAF

I have a counterpoise wire going around the house, away from the antenna. Right now it is about 30ft long but I want to extend it to ~50+ft.

I have the new wire up on the roof. Not sure yet how well it works. FT8 seems to perform as before, maybe even a bit better, made a couple of contacts to Chile on the dead 10m band.
    But I didn't hear as much voice and CW on the other bands as I did before.

One thing I want to do, is actually lifting it a bit off the roof, instead of laying it on the tiles. Still has to be stealth but I am thinking about putting up some plastic bird spikes and using them to hold the wire up. HOA can't complain about the spikes and you just can't see the thin wire from the street.

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the higher you get it above your roof the better. Do what you can do...