Which logging software & e-QSLing service?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by N7TAT, Nov 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll get a lot of suggestions, I'm sure. But as far as programs, I use three:

Ham Radio Deluxe: This is my main station log and it's worked well for me for years. However, it is definitely not a contest logger.

N1MM: Is what I use for contests. It is flat-out amazing. It's not designed to be your everyday logger, but for what it does it is freaking unbeatable.

N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log: What I use on my Field Day/QRP laptop where I don't want a big program suite.

As UV says, Log4OM is another good freeware. I've never used it in my shack but I have buddies who swear by it. Same goes for another freeware that I've used a little bit, DX Labs's "Commander" suite.

I export contacts from N3FJP and N1MM to HRD, to my master log. They are then uploaded to the ARRL's Logbook of the World (which isn't really a logging program despite the title). It's a way to easily get confirmations without paper QSLs. It also makes it very easy to apply for awards.

HRD is commercial software, but it is not overly expensive and includes full rig control, a digital communications program (PSK31, RTTY, etc.), rotator control, and a satellite program in addition to the log. N1MM, incredibly is free. N3FJP is commercial software but very inexpensive. While it doesn't offer the features of HRD, if all you want is to log, you could do worse for your main station log.

Service? Just LoTW really. Oh, I fooled around with eQSL for quite a while but got tired of it. It's too much work to confirm QSOs on it. I do very occasionally use QRZ's logbook, which is fine...but mostly not.

Finally, I still keep paper cards on hand and send some out. As BZ says, sometimes paper is the only way. And since my policy is "QSL 100%" I need paper cards for when some OM sends me one.Good luck. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    N5AF and (deleted member) like this.
  2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can second the recommendation of the N3FJP Amateur Contact Log program and uploading to LOTW. I've been doing that since I finally added a computer and logger to my station some months ago. For contests, though, I use N1MM Logger+, as that is the contest logger my club has been using for a long time, and I had some experience with it. N3FJP is far easier to set up, but both are within the comprehension of a typical ham (I think).

My usual daily operations are all logged "real time" to Amateur Contact Log, then at the end of any day's operating session, I do a quick upload to LOTW. The N3FJP program makes this just a couple of mouse clicks and done.

If I have been in a contest, my routine is this:
    1. Maintain real-time contest log in N1MM Logger+
    2. At end of contest, create Cabrillo log file and submit log to contest sponsor
    3. Create .adif file from N1MM Logger+ to hard drive
    4. Import the .adif file to N3FJP Amateur Contact Log
    5. Upload from N3FJP to LOTW

That may sound like a lot of stuff to do, but trust me, it only takes about 10-15 minutes to do it all at the end of the contest.

And to think that up until about 6 months ago, I didn't think I needed any station automation. Guess it proves that I'm human, since . . . "to err is human."

W4NNF likes this.
  3. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, great responses from the Elmers!

Are the apps y'all mentioned for Windows or do they work in iOS as well? Looks like they're all Windows programs.

PU2OZT and KF5KWO like this.
  4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. LOG4om is outstanding! Also keep some paper QSLs handy. Got Print dot com has an easy design and order system and they are CHEAP compared to other card houses. My page has a low res scan of my card. A buddy of mine had me set up an account and design his card for him.

6. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On my iPad, I use the HAM QuickLog app to log. It's very nice, you can create multiple logs as you go -- I have a main log, then just create a new one for each contest. I can then export it in an ADIF file to QRZ and eQSL from the iPad, done and done. I then simply email the ADIF to my Windows laptop for uploading to LotW. Hope this helps!

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    near San Antonio, TX

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do yourself a favor...even if you're a Mac fan, get a Win PC for the shack. ;)

KP4SX and W7DAZ like this.
  8. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

Logger32 is very slick and easy to use. And it is free!

KP4SX and N2UHC like this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Logger32. It's a full-featured and free logging program, and it's updated often. It can be a bit daunting to get set up at first, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to use.

I still send out paper QSL's as well as use LOTW and eQSL.cc. I know most people like electronic QSL's but I still enjoy the fun of sending and receiving actual paper QSL's through the mail. I have designed numerous different QSL's for my station using a program called HamQSLer. Since I don't send out a ton of QSL's, it's fairly cost efficient to design them, print them on card stock, and mail them out.

KP4SX likes this.
  10. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I still keep a paper log.
    I transfer them to DBA Hose Nose
    Logic , then LOTW. I Never have used
    e qsl... too many bogus “Con”tacts.
    The Only Real Awards are from the
    ARRL-CQ and other countries OFFICIAL awards.
    But ... what do I know I do not collect
    awards.I generally send out 3 / 8 QSL’s
    a month, I just like the QSLS , stamps
    post marks and operators remarks.
    Over 48 yrs of amateur radio I have
    sent out over 45,000 paper cards.
    I always get excited when I receive
    a envelope from the K8 ARRL QSL
    Bureau. I got a QSL from 1973 last yr
    on 40 CW from the ex USSR
    PO Box 88 Moscow return add.
    Many programs try them all out.