Which logging software & e-QSLing service?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by N7TAT, Nov 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been QRT for a while. Back then I used paper logs and paper QSL cards. These days it seems PCs are the log of choice. But which program and which QSLing service?

Is there one that is emerging as the standard? Do I still need paper QSL cards?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You only "need" paper QSL cards if you want to send/receive cards. Certainly not required and up to you - but lots of folks still do them.

The global standard for "Awards Logging" is the ARRL Log of the World - not really a "logging system" at all - it's an archive you upload your logs to for earing things like DXCC, Worked all States, etc.

Most folks use software such as N3FJP, N1MM and numerous other logging applications - they can then upload to LoTW or QRZ log. Such logging programs have built-in upload for LoTW, QRZ, eQSL, Clublog, and others

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  3. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't "need" the qsl cards although there as some station out there that don't do electronic confirmations. If you need Eastern Timbukistan your only option MIGHT be with a card through a qsl manager or da buro.

As for as which online confirmation service you use, it depends how you feel about each individual system and the awards offered.

I've been licensed for a long time so the only "real" awards for me are the ones issued by the league. I know, some people aren't down with the ARRL for a smorgasbord of reasons like cost of the awards, but to me they are still the gold standard. Lotw hooks up with ther awards smoothlessly and if you have a good local card checker if you need them (We DO in EWASH!) the process gets done very quickly. I can also upload my log to LoTW after I'm done operating (I use the N3FJP logging program) which makes the whole confirmatio thing pretty easy.

Some people are into eqsl. I found I got too many "not in log" inquiries from eqsl users and the awards are just not the same thing as the league awards. Same with the zed logging program awards. The zed logging program is not universally used. I had a Brazil station email me to "log onto QRZ log to verify our contacts". I did it that one time, but not since. I don't know if there's some sort of mind meld that kluges together either eqsl or lotw with qrz. Even if it had the ability to "talk" to other platforms, I don't see the value in expending the extra effort.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not alone in still logging on paper and entering the data to my computer log at my convenience rather than in real time. All of the logging systems create an .adif file which is interchangeable between programs and online logs.
    As to which online services to upload to - you aren't limited to one - o_O I upload to all of them. One guy uses A, the next guy uses B and so on. Its much easier to upload my log to all of them.
    And I do actively exchange cards as well when the other guy says he does also. Many don't nowadays. And I use the bureau.

5. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOG4Om. Free and full-featured.

KE0GXN and KK9W like this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many might disagree, but I say yes, you should have a supply of paper QSLs to send. They don't have to be fancy or expensive. But just make sure they identify your state, county, grid square and CQ zone. I would also include your ITU zone but it's probably less important that your CQ zone.

Why would you want paper cards, you may wonder. Because you may want some very special cards that you will only get if you send them one of yours. Just this past weekend in the Nov SS contest I worked K0HC - Heston College, W0JWC - Bradley University, W0EEE - Mo Univ of Science & Technology, W3EAA - Univ of MD, and W9YB - Purdue Univ. I also have cards from AZ State, Harvard, OR State, U of ID, Worchester Polytechnic, GA Tech, VA Tech, U of AL, Northeastern U, U of AR, UCLA, MI State, UCLA, et. al. To get cards, you have to give cards.

I agree. Especially if you have cards from long ago that you can apply toward awards today. If you have paper logs from years ago that you can enter into a PC log, you may find that you have credit for contacts you may long ago that have just been waiting for your half of the contact info to give credit to both sides of the QSO in LoTW.

This is very true. I don't know what the callsign prefix is for Eastern Timbukistan. But I have contacts logged with Uzbekistan on 5 bands that I do not have confirmed and will never get confirmed by LoTW. Gambling on a QSL return via mail is the only possible option.

KK9W likes this.
  7. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You must have been thinking of "seamlessly" and "smoothly" at the same moment, and the words got melded in your post.

PU2OZT, K4TTJ and K8BZ like this.
  8. KJ4KPW

KJ4KPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've really enjoyed using Amateur Contact Log from N3FJP.

It lets you do and just about customize anything, and he makes a lot of the contest logs!

It is pretty seamless to link up with LOTW too.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what you mean. I do it all the time and click post before I editproof my text.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a stock of them when I returned as a ham in 2016.
    I actually sent some out and received a couple of cards in response.

As for people requesting cards...zero requests since getting back on the air in 2016. Things have changed since my first go around as a ham 1974-96.

I find LOTW has been best for confirming contacts. Only time I use a card is if someone requests one...which has been zero.