Which is the better value, QRZ or ARRL?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2TAP, Apr 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given that annual membership is $49, you would have to live to 85 before you broke even... Not obviously a particularly good deal!

Martin (G8FXC)

K2TAP and K0UO like this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

K2TAP likes this.
  3. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ!!!!!!!

K2TAP and K0UO like this.
  4. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to remember these are averages of the entire population including lots of lower-income, less educated about health, etc.

Not to be unfair but I bet most of us may better off than the average (in the US something like 50% could not find $1000 to spend if they had to. Something like 30% could not find $200 extra), and as kind of technical nerds to pass ham exams, etc, I bet we are more also health nerds that go to Doc's with problems get vaccinated (when available getting my 2nd COVID short Monday) and maybe take better care of ourselves more than the general public in the SSSA stats.

I am sure there are exceptions and there are limits of what we can control getting serious illness etc. However, I would speculate the average life expectancy for most folks here is longer than the general population SSA data.'

I have lots of older clients, some in their mid-80s of sound mind and good health. In financial/investment planning I assume many will live to 100+

There are also many medical advances, especially around gene alterations and very complex medical stuff that may quickly extend life spans in the next few years. Obviously, the younger we are the more benefit from future medical advances. I am 74 and still going strong :)

Medical advances would also seem important for the ham community since the largest percentage I believe are us aging baby boomers. And many hams coming out of the military that started with surplus equip no longer used in wars etc.

Therefore many hams know how important it is to find younger folks to get interested in hamming to continue the hobby as us old folks go QRT - but hopefully not for a while!

K2TAP likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The best value is using the ARRL publications to learn how to build your station and antennas, operate your station, and make contacts.

QRZ.com can't do that.

However since I'm a member of both, I think they're both good values.

This is a "reflector" which allows nearly instantaneous exchange of ideas, right or wrong. It's fun and can be informative.

The League has one, but it's not as good as this one. I think they were late to the game.

But I don't use it for that. The wayback lookups on the League's website is worth the price of admission for me, if I took QST and tossed it in the garbage each month.

I used to save every issue of QST from 1966 and that took up several bookcases. No longer needed, it's all on line for members. Wow that sure relieved me of about a ton of old QSTs.:p

K2TAP likes this.
  6. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DISCLAIMER: I did not read through all five pages of responses. In answer to the OP's question...I used ARRL publications to learn the information needed to pass my Technician and General exams, and am currently using their publications to study for my Extra exam. Regardless of the ARRL's agenda or politics (which you will surely hear much about if you surf these forums), they are very good at publishing reference material that will be helpful to you in pursuing the amateur radio hobby, and they also provide other services that you can access without being a paid member. One example is the exam search feature which will allow you to find exams in your state or any other. For those reasons alone I am a member. If money is an issue for you or you are on a budget (which was my situation when I first got licensed), you could simply buy the ARRL books you need/want without paying for a membership, and check out their website and forums, as well as those on QRZ and EHAM, and at a later time you could decide which of these sites you wish to financially support, if any. In my opinion, the best site for reviews is EHAM, though you do need to read carefully. I have bought my radios mostly based on what I have read in the EHAM reviews and have not been disappointed yet. QRZ also has some valuable aspects. I prefer their general discussion forums to those of EHAM by a wide margin, though you do have to wade through some curmudgeonly posts. In my opinion, all three sites--ARRL, QRZ, and EHAM are worthy of your interest, for varying reasons. Of course, you will form your own opinions as you frequent these sites--and that is totally cool.

K2TAP likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you think this is an either-or situation? You can have both.

You’re already an XML subscriber to QRZ at $30/yr. If money is tight, you could drop back to the ham member level and forgo automatic ham database lookups from your logging program.

ARRL membership is $49/yr but that gets you access to the entire site which has a lot of resources, plus QST magazine, On the Air magazine (digital) aimed at newer hams, and QEX (digital) which is a more technical magazine, and digital back issues of each. You can order books without being a member (even from Amazon) so if that’s all you need then you don’t need to join, but I encourage you to if you can afford it for the reasons that have already covered here.

Also if you can afford it I suggest continuing with a paid subscription to QRZ, even going to one of the higher levels to avoid ads. There is a wealth of information available on the forums from people who I consider to be experts both technically and from experience, and it’s good to support the site directly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    K2TAP and KP4SX like this.
  8. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The League is our main Lobby, voice and professional representation in all things amateur radio, both in the states and much work abroad and in fact is our representative in the greater international community.
    QRZ has changed ham radio, mostly for the good of the community. If you enjoy QRZ, it doesn't hurt anything to show some support.
    ARRL needs our support and we need to stand united behind the ARRL.... Unfortunately much of the work the ARRL does is political.... If you disagree with the politics , then you need to get even more involved with the ARRL.
    It's not that the ARRL is a prima-donna . It's just exactly the theatre where we can congregate and steer things that guide our hobby and hold our traditions.
    It is the venue where we can and should be political within this hobby.

K2TAP likes this.
  9. K2TAP

K2TAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the EHAM lead. H²

10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy organic.