Which is the better value, QRZ or ARRL?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2TAP, Apr 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL is our national society that has acted as our advocate and representative to our government for many decades. They have their place in the ham universe that is much bigger than any ham radio website.

Apples and Oranges indeed!

Having said that, I also think that QRZ in particular, really serves the ham radio community well as a gathering place where we can exchange views on whatever ham radio problem is bugging us. QRZ also provides a data base where we can store our logs, and let's not forget QRZ's initial reason for existence: call sign look-up. Started as an actual book and has morphed into what it is today: the best, most accurate ham radio look up in existence...

I support both ARRL and QRZ and will do so into the foreseeable future. Each of them has value in their own way and it is not an either - or situation, at least not for me.

KA2FIR, N4BC, K8PG and 7 others like this.
  2. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Support both. They're both worth it.

N4BC, K8PG, WD4DXQ and 3 others like this.
  3. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL first and foremost. There wouldn't be amateur radio today if it wasn't for the efforts of ARRL and similar organizations in other countries that are modeled after the ARRL promoting the activity and tenaciously fighting for and defending our band allocations. ARRL was around working for the hobby way before TV, transistors, printed circuit boards, integrated circuits, computers, the internet, the WWW. If it wasn't for those efforts establishing and fighting for the legitimacy of amateur radio, it would never have made it into the internet age.

4. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget Product Review Testing :)

AA4MY and KA2FIR like this.
  5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since they are apples and oranges, you first must ask. What is my expectation from either of them?

Compile the list of answers you get from either, then evaluate those and decide which one makes more sense to you.

For me? I subscribe to the XML on QRZ. This accomplishes two things for me. I get XML feed for my ham radio apps, and it allows me to support QRZ. Both I feel are net positives.

My subscription to the ARRL provides QST magazine which I enjoy reading. I also support the ham radio hobby by supporting the ARRL. They provide a large amount of resources for our hobby in a multitude of ways.

What is more important to me? The ARRL. Without it, the ham radio hobby voice becomes far smaller with the government and with driving interest in ham radio by supporting hamventions, small clubs, contests, ham radio activity events, awards, logbook of the world, hardware reviews, teaching how to build / repair ham radio equipment, and several other ways.

I suggest you don't take someone else's opinion as your own. I recommend you listen to others then evaluate those responses and your own to make that decisions for yourself.

K2TAP likes this.
  6. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Become Life member of both.
    Paul

K0UO likes this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is the better value: apples or oranges?

YMMV

K0UO likes this.
  8. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Apples but they have the most toxins . How d'ya like them apples ?

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, going by Sherwood’s criteria, I list them in the top 20 of fruits and vegetables.

Again, YMMV

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it depends on what window you throw them through.

N3AWS likes this.