ad: MyersEng-1

Which is the better value, QRZ or ARRL?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2TAP, Apr 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K2TAP

K2TAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm new to the Amateur Radio World and I'm looking for my first paid Subscription. I can't decide what is best to start my journey. I know they are Apples and Oranges, but I just want to start with one or the other. I could use some help, from you veterans, with this dilemma. Thx... H²

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, apples and oranges. One has absolutely zero to do with the other. You might want to do some further investigation.
    Is there some specific aspect that you are looking for? Its not Instagram vs Twitter.

KG7LEA, KA2FIR, W7HV and 4 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's always good to hear from new amateur radio operators.

I'm a lifetime ARRL member but I support QRZ 100% also.
    Qrz is free speech for amateurs with lots of instant technical advice.

You have to ignore some of these stupid comments on here
    Just like and other public forum. It is free to start.

There's a bunch of boneheads running the ARRL but the League has been able keep amateur frequencies alive over the years.

Welcome to amateur radio, you will enjoy it, good luck and have fun.

If you're on a tight budget save your money and buy equipment and get on the AIR right now. I hope to work you on the air.
    K0UO

N0TZU, WD0BCT, N8SMG and 5 others like this.
  4. K2TAP

I agree with you. I was a member of ARRL for a for year a couple of decades ago and enjoyed it. But since I was not a ham, it didn’t seem to valuable. I like the QRZ, but have a few apps and QRZ that look up call letters while I’m talking to folks, so this seem to have value and might could use my support (although it is limited). Thanks for your reply. H²

5. K2TAP

Please see my reply to KP4SX. Thanks for your advice. I’m incline to agree with you 99.98%. H²

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Spend your money where you get the most from.

WD0BCT and W2AI like this.
  7. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why the ARRL is good:

1. RFI-- I am sure we all are in some way benefiting from the good work the ARRL lab did, and does today, in getting RFI generating devices banned.

2. Contests, trains operators to efficiently use their rigs. Awards, provides proof of that training.

3. Sponsorship of some Hamfests.

4. Grants and training for teachers.

5. Scholarships to students. Currently about 80 students a year, so around, (80*15), 1200 students that got direct monetary help in the past 15 years.

6. QST articles helped train, and started some engineering folks off in their careers in electronics over the past 35 years.

7. Outgoing/incoming QSL service, saves tons of money for the Hams.

8. The VM program, which puts a layer between the ham and the FCC.

9. The VE program which supplies a pool of testing volunteers and makes it easy to get tested.

10. ARES, provides emergency communications, and training.

11. Field Day, helps train operators and test the equipment used in Emergencies like Katrina.

12. A very comprehensive web site.

13. Representation in Government.

14. LoTW.

15. An anonymous reporting service via the ARRL Lab for reporting Pot grow lighting RFI to the FCC, keeping the Amateur's name and address from a pot grower in the process.

16. ARRL Labs, will take calls for any sort of Amateur Radio questions, and assist anyone that calls, member or not.

17. Efforts to kill BPL.

18. IARU's international secretariat is hosted by ARRL. 40 meters CW is still pretty much free of broadcast stations as a result of the IARU, and ARRL.

19. No other large organization protects Amateur Radio spectrum like the ARRL does...

20. Changes allowing Amateur Radio Operators to perform emergency communications within a paid environment if they work in Hospitals.

21. Obtaining ITAR exemptions for AMSAT.

22. The ARRL is a prolific publisher of high quality books. The ARRL Handbook and the ARRL Antenna Book are the industry standards for reference material.

23. The ARRL publishes three magazines - QST, QEX, and NCJ all of which are designed to educate and inform. QST magazine is the most widely read and cited magazine in the industry.

24. The ARRL developed and delivers an education outreach project to introduce teachers to Amateur Radio as an instructional resource and to provide an educationally sound curriculum focused on wireless communications.

25. The ARRL maintains a network of volunteer, appointed technical resources in each district to assist the average ham with technical questions and challenges and to provide educational seminars for ham radio clubs and events. In that role I have given scores of lectures on technical topics in order to enhance the technical acumen and skills of the hams in my and my neighboring district as well as resolving RFI issues for hams and government agencies.

26. The ARRL has been a tireless advocate and resource to help protect the rights of hams to install and operate the antenna systems necessary for our hobby. The recent favorable NJ Supreme Court decision is an excellent example of bringing these resources to bear for the general good of our hobby. Without these efforts on behalf of the ARRL, our capabilities would be severely diminished in many municipalities.

27. CITEL: Both the ARRL and IARU Region 2 are recognized by CITEL as partners in furthering the work on telecommunications in the Americas.

28. ARRL sends a representative to ITU Study Group 1 as part of the US delegation.

29. ARRL supported the Amateur in the 2018 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act, possibly keeping Amateur towers from being classed as needing to be marked. See:
    http://www.arrl.org/news/view/faa-r...exclude-vast-majority-of-amateur-radio-towers

I could go on...

Imagine what the hobby would be like today if the ARRL had died in the 70's, we would be overrun with RFI, have no spectrum left, and in general be the poor bastard child of the FCC, if they even allowed Amateur Radio at all... I suspect our spectrum space would be smaller, and in general the hobby would be a lot less fun. We would be like Canada, zero enforcement for RFI issues, save a lawsuit between all involved...

I simply can't say enough about how good the ARRL has been for Amateur Radio over the past 100 years, so look at the above and apply to the last 35 years.

I am not saying that the ARRL is perfect, far from it, but it is an organization that helps us all, every day. The ARRL bumps along, sometimes doing 60 MPH along the freeway of life, and sometimes doing 5 MPH along that same freeway, sometimes rear ending some poor soul by accident. But it keeps the hobby moving forward.

This all sort of reminds me of the dues increase feeding frenzy that started a few years ago, there were huge online fights, people quitting, etc. But-- we are all still here, the ARRL is still helping us, and for the most part we are all paying the additional 10 bucks a year so that frenzy made no real difference. This is just another bump in the road that we are all traveling down...

Publications ARRL provides:

ARRL provides every member with QST every month, both in print and on line.

ARRL members can subscribe to receive:

The ARRL Letter e-newsletter weekly

The ARRL Contest Update e-newsletter bi-weekly

ARES e-Letter monthly

ARRL Club News e-newsletter monthly

IARU e-Letter monthly

ARRL Instructor/Teach e-Letter

ARRL Legislative Update

ARRL posts new information daily on the ARRL web site.

ARRL provides a weekly ARRL Audio News podcast.

ARRL members can listen or subscribe to W1AW bulletins for General and Special Announcements; DX News; Propagation data; Satellite Information; and Keplarian data

Many ARRL Division Directors provide members with information through e-mail newsletters and Division web sites.

Many ARRL Section Managers provide members with information through e-mail newsletters and Section web sites.

Division Directors and Section Managers visit local clubs and hamfests to proactively provide in-person information and receive member (and non-member) feedback.

E-mail and telephone contact information for Division Directors, Division Vice-Directors and Section Managers appear in every edition of QST for any member (or non member) who wants to contact them for information.

ARRL takes booths at major hamfairs (e.g. Dayton Hamvention) to provide information and gather feedback.

KD2UHD, AA4MY, KA2FIR and 15 others like this.
  8. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Besides everything the ARRL does, for me, the QST archive is worth the price of admission many times over.

N0TZU, AD5HR, N8SMG and 5 others like this.
  9. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL

W7HV likes this.
  10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All true, but the trouble with this justification is, of course, that almost all the benefits you list apply to the ham community as a whole rather than the individual member. Ultimately you are appealing to our altruism and asking us to contribute despite the fact that we would still receive the benefits without paying a single penny (or cent)! I live in England, not America, so my local society is the RSGB. I am a member, but the only benefit that I receive directly is a magazine that is not always terribly good. In years gone by, I made use of the QSL bureau which probably almost covered the membership fee in postage savings - but that has gone almost entirely electronic these days.

I'll keep up my RSGB payments - for now, at least - but the only subscription that I really gain a personal benefit from is QRZ - that gives me up-to-date data in real time to go into my log book.

Martin (G8FXC)

K0UO likes this.