Which is better: Life in the digital era or life before the digital era?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KC2SIZ, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Which is better: Life in the digital era or life before the digital era?

1. Life before the digital era

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Life in today's digital world

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly life is easier in the digital era, but does that make it better? I'm not so sure. Before Netflix we read books. Before social media and texting we sat face to face friends and family; we actually talked to each other. Now we have distracted drivers on the road. We have identity theft. Our children would rather play on their tablet than play outside. Your average High School student doesn't know how to use a screw driver. Better? Who knows.

I'd say we are TOO dependent on technology these days.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can count the advantages and disadvantages of both. Granted some aspects of technology you have little control over but in many aspects, it's how you choose to adapt, or not. I saw a smartphone mentioned in one of the posts. I have absolutely no need for a smartphone pay $15.00 per month for my limited service with my old flip phone. Serves my needs just fine. Would say around 90% of my interest in computers is how they relate to ham radio not much interest in them otherwise. Being out of the workforce is, of course, a factor.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we’re better off, but there are two really scary aspects of technology today, IMO.

One is the ease with which far too many people can be manipulated into believing just about anything. “It’s on the Internet so it must be true”. And I’m afraid we haven’t seen anything yet. Fake or manipulated videos are going to be very prominent soon, and many people will be completely taken in.

The other is the huge loss of privacy with almost our every move being recorded, tracked and aggregated in large databases, mostly privately controlled. Europe is further along in recognizing and responding to the dangers of this, but even they are far behind the capabilities of the technology.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I do that for a minimum of two weeks every year when camping while on vacation. It's amazing how much time intantly becomes available for fishing, chopping firewood, meal prep and cooking, hiking, reading, real face-to-face communicating with others, etc.

K3XR likes this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Fine for a camping trip vacation.
    Try it "for real" -- at home/work, engaged in your everyday activities.
    ;)

6. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

As if radio circuits since the 60s were designed without the digital computer. Yep, I was there. You have all been in the digital age for long time and have been loving it.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You first challenged "those who vote 'before the digital age' try living for a week without current technology ..."

I answered, met, and surpassed your challenge with twice the time frame you specified.

Now you've changed the terms of the challenge. Sorry. I'm not playing with you anymore.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    KJ4VTH likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Both

Dave
    W7UUU

NE1U likes this.
  9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did it for the first 23 years of my life.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I guess I should have been more specific. ;)
    But I think you got the point.

BTW: En route to your "off grid" vacation, did you by any chance stop for gas and/or supplies and use a credit, debit or ATM card?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019