Which is better: Life in the digital era or life before the digital era?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KC2SIZ, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Which is better: Life in the digital era or life before the digital era?

1. Life before the digital era

36 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Life in today's digital world

29 vote(s)
    44.6%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

But please answer only if you lived at least a part of your adult life before there was widespread internet service and social media. I want responses from people who lived in both eras and can make first hand comparisons.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Born in 56. Folks and families used to visit and socialize more if they weren't preoccupied by television.
    Seems we have so much connectivity but no one speaks well face to face like they once did.
    Folks did more outdoors and had more fun interacting with others, or so it seems.
    Now all my co-workers just look into their mobile devices and not talk to each other at break time.
    Myself I am vy disconnected having jus a PC at home and zero cell or personal device.
    Hard wired phone. Ancient mode CW in the shack.
    Have not found I actually need these more modern tech devices to get along with life or my work.

K7MH, W5ACC and KC2SIZ like this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have, and do experience both. There is a lot more analog stuff around here than digital stuff, so I spend more time on the analog side. That's subject to change, but not right now. I use a 'mix' of both, it works for me. YMMV

4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to say life today in the digital age.

- I can choose what show / movie I want to see and when..
    - I can download music and carry it with me easily without a record store.
    - Communications around the world at your fingertips via mobile devices.
    - Answering your doorbell from 1000 miles away !
    - No film processing and printing.
    - Photoshop !
    - No long distance charges.
    - No unanswered sports questions at the sports bar ! Who was on the Cubs lineup in 1964?
    - Making appointments without a phone call
    - Ordering products online and having them on your doorstep in a day or 2.
    - Paying bills without stamps and envelopes.
    - Live weather and weather radar
    - Don't have to buy a newspaper to get the news - get it when you want it.
    - Real Freedom of the press - mainstream media can no longer hide stories that don't fit their narrative or political views.
    - Google maps and Street view !!!!
    - GPS

etc. etc.

N1OOQ, N0TZU, KE5OFJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course we all did just fine without all that back then.
    One big drawback about life in the digital age is that we are all much OLDER now!!

SA4BRL likes this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Speak for yourself.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No question, digital is better.
    It doesn't come without gotchas, though.

N2EY likes this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was perfectly content with technology around the time the 1900's became the 2000's. I had radio, a computer, internet (even relatively slow dial-up), cable and satellite TV and an analog bag phone that worked perfectly fine. I like being able now to instantly share photos and text with my kids around the country but that is about the only thing that I would really miss about today's tech.

Of course in the year 2000 I was only 42 years old so maybe that is what really makes the "old days" appealing to me! :p

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

For those who vote "before the digital age" try living for a week without current technology ... starting with your smartphone, tablet, computer or whatever it is that you use to access/post-to QRZ.com. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course folks also "did just fine" before electric lighting, central heating and indoor plumbing. :)

N2EY likes this.