ad: Sussex-1

Which is best, FT8 or CW?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8UA

W8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea! I do! I worked New Zealand on 20 CW in the ARRL DX CW. This afternoon with a 2W radio and a bit of magnet wire I threw up outside on a pvc pipe, I made five contacts around the US on CW...
    Good point though on the "run yer mouth"!!!!

W0WTM likes this.
  2. W8UA

W8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, the radio puts out 5W, but still it is cool to run QRP.

WN1MB likes this.
  3. WA7AXT

WA7AXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait a minute. If ft8 is digital, why not take a morse code message produced with a hand key, or bug, digitally encode it, transmit that digitally encoded signal, receive that digitally encoded signal, and then play it out as morse code after your computer has "decoded it?
    Then we have digitally transmitted morse code messages, that can get through qrm, qrn and weak signal conditions with low power better than "analog cw signals"? Would it not be much easier to do that than trying to digitally process the human voice? Ham radio is about experimentation. What's wrong with trying this idea? Ahhh, but wait, that requires knowing morse code. Dang!!!!!!!!!

W4AUT likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to watch you make toast. I bet it's an absolute hoot. ;)

WD4ELG, K8VHL, W9EBE and 2 others like this.
  5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The real question and key to this is hidden. Portable activation, has hints to if I've been sitting on concrete...

Well, perhaps.

Now if portable activation for some reason not planned for, occurs. Say you end up incarcerated.
    Is FT-8 going to save you?

RRK

6. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

We already do something like that... we call it "text messaging"

7. WA7AXT

WA7AXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

post deleted