Which interface? Signalink, XGGComms, or the Greek guy?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KG7ZFC, Jul 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG7ZFC

KG7ZFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to set up two radios for digital modes: an IC-275A and an IC-575A. So I need two interfaces. I'm looking at three different ones:

Signalink USB- the most expensive, people like it or hate it

XGGComms USB-Digimode-1 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-USB-C...terface-8-and-13-pin-Din-version/372306684053 - half the price of the Signalink, good reviews of his other cables and products on eHam

Unidigi interface - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICOM-Digi-...31-FT8-SSTV-IC-746-756-820H-910H/231817268403 - the cheapest, he's "sold tens of them", https://unidigieshop.wordpress.com/

These look like they'll all do what I want: audio and CAT interface, including PTT, to those two radios. They're all just serial and audio interfaces with the right cable. And since I'm buying two of them, I'd like to save some money. But I have no problem spending more if quality would suffer too much by buying more cheaply.

So, suggestions or comments? Are there other options I'm missing?

TNX and 73

2. W5VTC

W5VTC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Unidigi for a Kenwood Radio. It worked well for PSK31 and DM780. I never tried setting it for WSJT-X. I also have one of the Easy Digi's that works well, but it goes through the mic connector and I just prefer the 13 Pin. My older computer would reboot itself occasionally using the Unidigi. If I was using a non on-board soundcard, or I had a newer computer, I'm sure it wouldn't do that. I replaced my Signalink, so the Unidigi and Easy Digi went back into the box. I've never owned or know anyone that's used the XGGComm. That's my $.02. :cool:

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had several XGG interfaces for my Icoms (756/718). Worked well. Nary an issue.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Signalink USB does not do CAT control -- it is strictly a sound card interface. The USB cable connects the internal sound IC to the PC.

W5VTC likes this.
  5. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having GREAT SUCCESS with the $99 MFJ-1204!
    Layne AE1N

6. KG7ZFC

Yep. I'm aware. I also have a CAT/CI-V control cable set up.

Thanks! I actually bought a Signalink USB and just set it up. I hope to get some use in this weekend and see how I like it.

7. W5VTC

UPDATE: I have always had problems between my Signalink and WSJT-X. Intermittent at best. No transmit power at its worse. I had never set up the Unidigi I have and tried it on WSJT-X. For giggles, I hooked it up just to see if it would work.Well, I put the Signalink back in the box and now running FB on WSJT-X and FlDigi. Looks like I'm going to have some fun. If it stops working, I have no qualms about purchasing another one, now that I can finally have access to all the digital modes.

8. KG7ZFC

Every setup is different, so go with what works!

One thing I noticed was that the SignaLink REQUIRES you to tweak its soundcard volume and other settings in Windows, and at one point it says that if the volume level is wrong, it won't work at all. Maybe dig out the SignaLink manual (or find a PDF online) and go through that and see if it helps? Mine seems to work perfectly so far.

KB1NXE and W5VTC like this.
  9. W5VTC

I haven't given up. :) I won't stop until I can get it working.

KG7ZFC likes this.