Which input for Yaesu FT-991?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB3VQT, Sep 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB3VQT

KB3VQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I have a Yaesu FT-991 and an MFJ 4245MV Switching Power Supply. The power supply has a 40 amp output on the front and two 5 amp outputs on the back. Which one would be best for connecting my radio? The radio has two 25 amp fuses on the power line. Any help and information is appreciated.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Stop and think!

The unit can put out 100-watts and that usually means about twice the power input for the whole radio. A power of 200-watts requires about 14.5 amperes at 13.8 VDC. Therefore, the 5 ampere outputs won't come close to powering the transceiver. As such, your only other option is the 40 ampere jack.

Glen, K9STH

PY2RAF, K4AGO, W1TRY and 2 others like this.
  3. KB3VQT

KB3VQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I have been out of this for over 8 years and am just coming back into it.

73's Peter

4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back, you'll start to remember as time goes on and things begin to make sense. If in doubt, just ask.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer questions, the user manual is always a good place to start. Yaesu has it on their website (link). I suggest downloading the file(s) you're interested in. Then, for the next thing you're curious about, you'll already have the documentation. :)

FWIW, in regard to this question, the Operating Manual (page 144) sez the FT-991 wants 23A on HF/6m at 100W output, or 15A on 144/430 MHz at 50W output. On receive, it wants 1.8A (no signal) or 2.2A (signal present). :)