Which Fairly New Kenwood?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N4LCV, May 20, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N4LCV

N4LCV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you were in the market for a fairly new (last few years) Kenwood radio, which would you look for? I operate mostly phone, but have worked some PSK-31 and CW is always a possibility. I have an Ameritron ALS 600 amplifier. What about this radio causes you to pick it above all others and what would you expect to have to give for one? Thanks

Randall - N4LCV

2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like an easy decision....Kenwood TS 590 S if you are implying buying used...can pick them up for a 1000 bucks these days...if new, then a TS 590 SG. If you are wealthy, then a TS 990. The TS 590 almost has everything you need in a radio and does it all well. Good luck.

Since you are running a ALS 600 , you need to buy used TS 590 S with the over shoot mod done...or buy one with later serial numbers where they corrected the problem at the factory...just a heads up.

3. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want fairly new I would suggest a used 590S (dates back almost 4 years) or TS-480 (about 10 years but still in production). I have owned a 480 for about 5 years and got it used and it has been a great rig. Mine has optional SSB and CW filters and 590 has no big edge on it when so equipped.

About 900 is what I would give for a 590S because they were closed out not long ago under 1200 new and resale value dropped since SG shipped. On 480 around 700.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-990 is you like bells and whistles, TS-590 if you want just almost the same performance at about 1/5th the price.

Steve
    KV6O

5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you really want to save money get a 570DG. It's a poor mans 590
    I've had both now and I'm really impressed with the 570.

6. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to snag a used 570 DG down the road here in awhile for my 'garage shack'. Been seeing them come up often for great prices!!

7. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a 570 D(G) which I bought new over 15 years ago. It is a solid rig. Only thing bad I can say is internal speaker is lacking but a external one fixes that.

8. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in the same shopping mode a while back. Seems the TS-480 has the TS-570 beat in the receiver department. So, I would go with the 480 or a used recent 590. I have the 590 and really like it.

Ed

9. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you from side by side the 480 has a noticeably better receiver than 570 especially when it come to noise reduction. Not that 570 receiver is bad, it is just that 480 is very good.

10. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a new TS-570 a year or two after they first appeared. I had it for a few years and then sold it because I had a few too many rigs and at the time I "thought" I could do without it... Bad Move... I really loved that rig and started regretting selling it from just a few days after it went out the door. I got it at a real special price from the local Kenwood dealer who was going away from amateur equipment and concentrating solely on manufacturing his line of TV, marine and commercial antennas. I had bought many radios from this guy over the years and he did me one last super deal as a parting gesture of my doing business with him over the years. How good-a-deal..?? Well, I made my money back easily when I sold it a couple of years later and the guy who bought it, thought "he" was getting a good deal from me...

Over the years I saw virtually no new or second hand TS-570's around for sale at all. For quite a few years I was almost completely distracted from amateur radio, although I did buy a new Icom IC-706MKIIG about 10 years ago. Just a year ago I decided that I must update my gear and after taking a look around to see what was available, I saw the TS-590S and after doing some reading and asking about it, I quickly decided the answer was abundantly clear - BUY IT... Other radios I considered were Yaesu FT-450, FT-950, Kenwood TS-480, TS-2000 and an Icom IC-7410.. The reviews, and articles I saw on the TS-590S were basically all pointing towards it being a super radio, so even by the numbers game I had to buy that radio. While setting it in place, the first thing that really struck me was its uncanny resemblance to the TS-570D and that alone instantly brought on a lot of good feelings. It felt like I sort of already knew the radio and I had no trouble setting it up and/or operating it from day one. Of course, in essence the 590 is an updated 570, isn't it?

This radio (TS-590S) is a fantastic little performer. It just "Does It" in almost every way you care to imagine. If you get the chance to buy one at the right price, take that opportunity without even thinking twice. Just like me, I'm sure you wont be disappointed, but, if you decide to save a few pennies and go the nostalgic (for me anyway) TS-570D(G) way, in my opinion, it would still be quite a good little radio for its time period, but you wont quite be getting a scaled down or even an older version of the TS-590. Kenwood must have taken the very best of all its current and former great radios and bundled all that goodness into the TS-590... I'm sure the TS-570 was one of those contributing radios. At the time, the 570 was labelled as one of, if not, "the" most software controlled amateur HF radio on the market and at that time there were mixed opinions on whether this was a good thing or not. Kenwood obviously knew the answer to that, didn't they..??

As a footnote... Shortly after and since owning the 590, I have seen 3 TS-570's up for sale, second-hand of course and in very good condition. There's even one on the local online auction site right now. I was gazing at it just before coming into QRZ.com this very morning. I am still tempted to put in a bid but the budget is not in line for another radio just right now, even a backup one - Oh heck on it...!!! The only small problem they ever had, that I was aware of, was the rotary encoder for the memory channels, which gets a bit of runaway at times. That worried me NOT at the time,, but guess what,, so does the 590 have that same little "thing"... Big deal...!!!

Al... (ZL1VSF)

Last edited: May 20, 2015