Which circuit diagram software do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by G5JIM, Apr 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G5JIM

G5JIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I know that there is a list of software packages in a sticky on this thread, but just wondering what people use for drawing circuit diagrams, I am also aware that some packages allow for some simulation which would be great but obviously with increased learning curve.

Thanks,
    James G5JIM

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KiCAD (www.kicad.org) - after a lot of experimenting, I came to the conclusion that it was the best of the free/low cost options. I do like DesignSPARK from RS Components very much and it is free, but its part libraries are very RS specific - if they don't stock it, then you are going to have a lot of work to use it in your PCB. KiCAD part libraries are more comprehensive and, if you need to create a custom part, then the tools are quite easy to use.

Martin (G8FXC)

3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've tried many of them but ended up purchasing the Lite version of DipTrace.

Very easy to use (more intuitive) compared to many of the other software packages IMO, but YMMV.

They do have a free version if you've never used it.

4. G5JIM

G5JIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for both of your responses, I've downloaded a previous version of KiCAD, I'm running an older Mac and am stuck on OSX 10.13 so the newer packages which require 10.14 don't work for me. I'll give DipTrace a go too. Thanks for the help!

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Using diptrace (free version) here
    It gets my vote, very versitile and resembles a commercial package I used Protel 99 SE
    Also works on my linux mint v20 laptop under wine