ad: k1jek

Which budget transceiver do you like best?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WW4LS, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Which budget transceiver do you like best?

1. Yaesu ft dx 1200

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Yaesu ft 991A

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Yaesu ft 891

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Kenwood 590

18 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Kenwood 480 hx

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Icom 7100

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Icom 7300

49 vote(s)
    40.8%
  8. Alinco DX-SR8T

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Other post response below

21 vote(s)
    17.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All my rigs are budget transceivers. They're paid for. :p

WN1MB likes this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-440

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

and now it's "just as correct" as it was before - just different :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ Cubs, I have a few and the kit form cost me $ 99 each ! And they WORK .
    I have made many good contacts when I take them on camping trips !
    I can't imagine soemone would think a radio costing over 500 bucks would be any bargain !

5. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My activities in ham radio are handicapped in many ways, such as antennas, location favorable to DX, etc. Since the beginning in 1970 I decided that equipment would not be another handicap and have always had the best equipment I could stretch to afford.

6. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Having voted for the FT-891, I am surprised to see the leader by a wide margin comes with a price tag nearly twice that of the FT-891.

Is the Icom 7300 a better radio? Maybe. It depends on what matters to you.
    Is it worth twice the price when price is a chief consideration (as the poll suggests)? Absolutely not.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately we have quite a mix here. I myself prefer "portable" rigs. Something I can take with me. I don't consider a 16 lb radio portable so I would not vote for it....even though it may be a fine transceiver. As a result I voted for the FT891. A lot of bang for the buck and portable! And it's getting to be that time of the year to return to some portable operation!

8. W4EAE

The FT-891 is definitely a great portable rig.

The criticisms that I have seen all have to do with things like where in the menu system certain settings are located. I have never heard a criticism like, 'The receiver just is not as good as X radio.'

Both Yaesu's newer 'budget' offerings (FT-891 and FT991A) and the Icom 7100 use triple-conversion super-heterodyne receivers, and have DSP IF. The Icom 7300 is direct conversion. With current firmware, I think the DSP noise removal is better on the Yaesus than on either Icom. And the contour filter is incredible.

It does not seem that too many people have ever used this radio. Maybe the low price and small size leads people to think it is junk and write it off. :)

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have both the Yaesu FT-450D which serves as my 6-meter station and the FT-891 which is my dedicated digital transceiver. Both have been very reliable and meet the requirements of their intended use. As to an economical all-around transceiver would tend to go with the FT-450D as it has some more features.

10. W4EAE

The lack of a tuner is what I am most aware of as to differences. What else is there?