Which budget transceiver do you like best?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WW4LS, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Which budget transceiver do you like best?

1. Yaesu ft dx 1200

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Yaesu ft 991A

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Yaesu ft 891

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Kenwood 590

18 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Kenwood 480 hx

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Icom 7100

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Icom 7300

49 vote(s)
    40.8%
  8. Alinco DX-SR8T

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Other post response below

21 vote(s)
    17.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DSC08575.JPG View attachment 420599
    I let leave my two-year-old 7200 for around $500.00. It's been already discontinued for more than a year, so unavailable as brandnew in Japan.

T.Suzuki JL1DCA

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio Outlet price for Icom IC-7200 $769.00, Main Trading C.o price $727.00 after rebate. Wish those had been the prices when I was looking!

Roger N6RGR

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on your budget. Personally I like the TS-450 for mine.

4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have and still like my 2 IC-706mk2g, but today I would prefer 7100 as the most universal radio for its cost. HF+VHF+UHF with good DSP are enough for all purpose. I like it big and clear (especially on sun when portable) display. But if I need only HF, my choice is 7300 because its panorama display and next generation SDR/DSP.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you, brother. Sheesh!

I own five HF transceivers - same brand and model. Yeah, yeah - I know: "but they're only HW-8 QRP rigs."

But you know what? I've got only $400 invested for these five rigs. They provide loads of fun at home, on the road, vacationing, and camping. And I'm not afraid to pop the covers, probe, fiddle, modify, and align 'em. I've got to believe the ROI with these is greater than I'd get from any of the supposedly "budget" transceivers listed in the poll.

YMMV, of course.

72/73,
    Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

F8WBD likes this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really really like my 857.....probably the best mobile rig I've ever had. I don't know why everyone says it's deaf. Maybe mine was built on a Tuesday. :)

AK2M, N6HCM and WW4LS like this.
  7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would NEVER buy a budget rig brand new . . .

Much rather spend LESS on a top end model that's several years old.

But I've always had the same attitude with cars too.

Roger G3YRO

K6LPM likes this.
  8. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

UBITX from http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/

The µBITX is a general coverage HF SSB/CW transceiver kit with features you NEED for operating ease, convenience and versatility. It works from 3 MHz to 30 MHz, with up to 10 watts on SSB and CW with a very sensitive receiver. It features digital tuning, dual VFOs, RIT, CW Keyer and more. The µBITX is a general coverage HF SSB/CW transceiver kit with features you demand for operating ease, convenience and versatility. It features digital tuning, dual VFOs, RIT, CW Keyer and more.

$109.00 USD with free shipping (3-4 weeks) from the manufacturer in India. For an extra $10.00 you can get DHL shipping with tracking (usually less that a week).

BUT, you do have to do some work to get it operating. But, that is what Ham Radio is all about, isn't it?

WN1MB likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit "built" quite the industry on that premise: the customer building the product you sell!

Used to be that way. In 2017, eh ... not so much. And sadly so.

10. VE5RH

VE5RH QRZ Lifetime Member #257 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use ICOM 7600,Nice radio

VE6NS likes this.