Which Book?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB3SKU, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Duplicate post. Ignore.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither. Find a used ARRL Handbook at a hamfest or for sale online. They do not change very much from year to year. Anything within about the past 10 years will be good enough IMO.

Otherwise, an ARRL Antenna Book. And ON4UN's Low Band DXing. Any edition - again, the basic material doesn't change very much from year to year.

The ARRL FCC rulebook is OK to have, but basically it is just a wordy narrative restatement of the FCC Part 97 rules. You can find the Part 97 regulations online and they're not that difficult to figure out on their own without all the extra words the ARRL book wraps around it.

Subscribe to ARRL membership and you will have access to technical articles as well as the QST archives.

The ARRL Operating Manual is essentially useless IMO. Most of the Steve Ford books such as the HF Digital Handbook etc are useless, as well, as they are just reprinting of stuff from other books and generally devoid of the practical information you would need to actually do anything.

If you get into homebrew, the Experimental Methods in RF Design is not bad, although a little dated. QRP homebrew, the "bible" is the W1FB QRP Notebook. It is way dated, but still a very useful book.

I do have a copy of the ARRL RFI Handbook.

There's a book titled Hello World - A Life in Ham Radio that I think is very cool. It's not technical, just sort of follows one SK's ham career via his QSL card collection. But I think is a nice, pleasant read. Whenever I start to feel like ham radio sucks, I read that book and it perks me up again!

200 Meters and Down is a good read of the early history of ham radio, but the modern, hip, digital kind of hams that have disdain for old-farts probably would not appreciate it.

4. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

I do have the ARRL Antenna Book.

200 Meters And Down sounds interesting,im in to digital modes but i am interested in Ham Radio history.

5. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the Adam West book to have the questions. I would try to answer each question, without looking at the answers.

When I could not answer a question correctly, I would look that subject up in my 1997 ARRL Handbook ($10.00 at a hamfest).

The earlier suggestion of a used (cheap) ARRL handbook is a great one, when coupled with a printed set of the questions in the pool. Since you already have the Adam West book, those two would be a powerful combination.

This combination had me passing the Extra test with flying colors.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I concur, used books at hamfests are the way to go. I collect them and I get them quite cheap. It is nothing to pick up an 80-90's era ARRL handbook for 1 or 2$. If you are lucky you can find a box of books for 5$, I have done just that at the last three hamfests.:)

On a side note, the is a considerable difference in the '90-92 handbooks. They shrink quite a bit.:eek:

7. AE4PC

AE4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you mean Gordon West. Adam West played Batman on TV.

"The Complete DX'er" is a great book and is available here: http://www.idiompress.com/books.html

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Along with the ARRL antenna book, if you can find a copy of Bill Orr W6SAI's books "Beam antenna handbook", "Quad antenna handbook", and "Vertical antenna handbook"

All 3 stress the practical side of antenna designing and building, they are very good.

Rege

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bwhaha...bet he would make an interesting ham. Wait, he is a ham just a different kind.:p

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL Handbook is a good thing to have. I'm not familiar with the RSGB Handbook, though. I buy a new handbook every few years. The now-ancient Radio Handbook by Bill Orr is still an excellent reference if you can find it. I believe it's still in print. I used that one and the ARRL Handbook to study for my Extra ages ago. I've built a lot of gear out of the handbook over time.

If you're into digital stuff, the Operating Manual might be a good buy for you. It has the basics of how to operate most popular amateur modes, including some of the more exotic digital modes, and it's got lots of good reference info.

The ham Atlas is good to have, but you can usually look up prefixes online much faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.