Which band would you chose if you were only allowed one antenna for SSB VHF/UHF operation?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BUS:

When the band goes open, which is pretty common during the warmer months, several thousand miles is common and even farther is possible.

Except when tropospheric conditions are "just right", 2-meters is generally limited to 200-miles to 300-miles average. A little farther with excellent antenna installations (read "high above ground level"). Near the coast can get some pretty good distance but for everyone else, not so good!

My best DX on 2-meters is Managua, Nicaragua, from Richardson, Texas, on the north side of Dallas. However, this was actually an FM contact (my antenna was / is a pair of 11-element Yagis vertically polarized ("stacked") at 67-feet above ground fed with 1/2-inch Heliax and located 1/2-block from the highest point in the city). The contact was with the late Bill Smith, K0CER, when he was the VHF Editor of QST and I was the FM Editor of CQ Magazine. This was on 146.520 MHz. Conditions were "just right" and we really did not expect to make it. However, the contact lasted for several minutes and no one else, around here, could even be heard. I was running 60-watts output from a Motorola "K" transmitter and I do not remember just what Bill was running.

During that time period, I was the only one in this area that was using such higher gain antennas for FM and, because of both the tower height and height above mean sea level, had the highest antennas in use for FM.

Glen, K9STH

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Distance is not the 'problem', frequency and quality of openings are.

6M is not an on-demand band. I hope it's not going to be your only band, or you may abandon the hobby soon.

There is a reason why it's called the Magic Band.;)

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Go ahead, and brag...:D:rolleyes: I'd love to have both, but have neither.:(

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

6M yagi for most places. However, 2M yagi if you live near any coast, where 6M tends to be more periodic. If you live near a coastline and near a major metropolitan area (like the NE US or East Coast) 2M has many more prop types available. Tropo being the best one for long haul DX opportunities in the summer. It really depends on where you live and population density.