Which band would you chose if you were only allowed one antenna for SSB VHF/UHF operation?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you could only have one antenna for any band on VHF/UHF for SSB operation ONLY (either in base station or mobile mode), which antenna and which band would you choose? Thank you

2. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Horizontal polarized. Not enough info to be more specific.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

6 meter beam, as large as permissible, with rotator. 99.44% of ALL V/UHF SSB ops are using HORIZONTALLY oriented antennas. Unfortunately, 20-30 dB less signal for vertically polarized (e,g, FM) signals.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Same here - big 6m beam up very high, horizontally polarized.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a tough time choosing between 6M and 2M. 6M is the obvious choice if there is little 2M activity in your area. Here on the AL gulf coast there is quite a bit of activity on 2M (SSB). I run 100 watts with a 7 element beam at 25 feet on 2M and can work regularly up to 200 miles and frequently 600 miles east and west along the coast. Can't deny that 6M is a blast also!

7. KC0BUS

I'm surprised. I thought almost certainly 2-meters would come out ahead. But I guess 6-meters is more popular now days.

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6M beam at 150' with one of @W1QJ 1,500 watt 6M amps.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot speak for others, but I like DXing, and 6M is a much better band for that than 2M.

If you ever change the post to satellite or EME, than the suggestion changes.;)

10. KC0BUS

What kind of distance can be had when DX'ing on 6M these days?