Which antenna analyzer?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VE6ADZ, Sep 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VE6ADZ

VE6ADZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never owned an antenna analyzer. I'm thinking about buying the RigExpert AA-170. Another option is the MFJ-225 but I'm thinking that I might have better luck with a RigExpert. Has anyone had experience with these analyzers?

Adrian
    VE6ADZ

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

You might also consider the Sark-110 distributed by Steppir (Antennas)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd want to know the intended application before making any suggestions.

Selection of such gear is very application dependent, including how it will be used and where it will be used.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would get the AntExpert.

MFJ would be my last choice, if you are serious.

5. VE6ADZ

Right now I spend most of my time on HF. I would like to be able to check feedlines, I plan to build a 20m yagi this winter, I would like to have an analyzer for HF wire antennas while camping. I would also like 6m and 2m capability.

6. VE6ADZ

Thanks, I'll check it out.

7. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Agilent E5061B

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then it sounds like possibly you want a field instrument that's small, lightweight, battery powered and easy to carry.

The ability to sweep and store, and graphically display the results is something many of the higher end units offer but I almost never have a requirement for that, and of course such capability adds cost.

9. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

In my humble opinion with some experience dealing with the folks at MFJ - anything but MFJ!

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The MFJ models are dependable enough for the average ham and their needs. I have a second hand MFJ analyzer that has never been problematic. Matter of fact I have owned quite a bit of MFJ gear and find that they are better than most give them credit. If they do need to repaired the repair is usually easy.

N0TZU likes this.