ad: GNOHF-1

Which amplifier do I purchase: Ameritron AL 80B or ALS 600

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3BXB, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI0Z

KI0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Reliability

Reliability, This is the Most Important. from all I Have seen with friends and my self included The Al-80B with out question is much better ! The newer ones have led back lite meters . My newest amp 1 year ago,the in side looks very well made. I can't say about today ,but one would think the same. This amp is instant on (10-30 Sec) has a low cost very good track record for the tube and totally is what I think to be the very best buy for your Money . If I was interesred in s. s. linear I would seriously look at the Tokyo High Power . Most people really like them see E-ham.com . HF linears. Outstanding for the price ,yet upper ones can get up there with the big names. 73 Dave KI0Z..[/I]

2. W4KQB

W4KQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have ran 220's, Clipperton-L and Collins. Now work with the ALS-1300. I have a few of the SB's ( 1000 and a 221) on standby , but the 1300 is a decent amp. No heat, self tuning,remote power supply and bandswitching is nice also. With the interface, you can change bands on the rig and the amp follows. No arcs and stuff to think about. I have ran for 4 hours and she still kept on. No heat is nice. Consitant with low SWR 160-10M. Have had very good reports. Have ran the ProIII, FT-2000D and the TS-2000 through for demonstartions and comparisons. Looks like the Yaesu wins.
    I run 240 VAC on all amps. This one came 240VAC from Ameritron, but can go to 120 VAC so I can't comment on the lower voltage. The bird and Heathkit peak meters have shown 1.2 to 1.3 kw, but I keep her down to a KW usually.
    So-the other thing-look around-direct from factory prices ar HIGH. Look at HRO.
    Good luck
    Ricky

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Solid state amps generate almost the same heat as tube amps. The only difference is the filament heat from tube amps is absent in solid state amps. But if there's really "no heat," there must also be "no power.":p

I think some solid state amp designs have good enough heat sinks that perhaps they hardly need fans, and you don't notice the heat because it's in a place where you don't feel it much. But my old Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 which I had for several months before I sold it had lots of fans, and they were pretty noisy. Noisier, in fact, than my Ameritron tube amps.

I'd like to see a good SS amp that has no fans at all and uses either recirculating water cooling or just has enough heat sink area that no fans would be required. That would be pretty nice.

Computer CPUs often have water cooling, especially for the "overclocking" crowd. Some of those CPU water cooling kits are $99 retail and do a very good job. I have no idea why SS amp manufacturers haven't gone that way. It's a terrific way to transfer heat much more efficiently than using air, and now that the water cooling kits for computers are so prevalent, the component costs are very low.

4. KF7LJH

KF7LJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I overclock my computer and run water cooling and can say that the water pumps I use are quieter than typical 80mm or smaller case fans. However, some of the low-noise 120mm and bigger fans in a well thought out case can result in an overall quieter workstation. I'd imagine the same is true of cooling an amplifier. The added complexity of water cooling might be overkill - but cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.